Electronic Speedo

Jon Green

Hi,

I have a VDO speedo fitted to my 2b. Today was my first drive to a garage to get the headlight alighment and tracking sorted. I was brilliant, everything worked great except the speedo. It smoothly accelerate to 35 then struggled to go faster even though the car was doing 45mph.

I have a hall effect sensor mounted above the drive shaft to diff flange with 2 metal tangs on opposing bolt heads.

I have read some post that talk about magnets. I have none. Could this be a reason why my hall effect sensor fails to read more pulses than i get at 35mph?

How have you lot set it up.

P.s. SVA in 40 hours!

Cheers Jon

Hi Jon

I quite recently fitted an electronic speedo to my bike powered westfield, my sensor kit was the magnetic type, which ment fitting 4 magnets equally around the propshaft and part of the calibration calculation was times by the number of magnets(4). now i did knock one of the magnets out of position and it read alot slower than i was going, so could be something similar not picking up every pulse or calibration calculation is wrong.

Mike

Guest Wick12

If you have no magnets that will be the problem.

You need to stick 4 arround the prop flange with about 3 to 4 mm clearance from pickup I used 24 hour araldite on cleaned surfaces and smeared over faces of magnet to keep then sealed from water as the rust will eventualy blow them off.

there will be a calibration chart for the speedo which you will have to set 10 dip switches based on your diff ratio and the number of magnets per revolution.

Good luck

I bought a telemetrics speedo and was given a hall effect sensor. I didn't like the look of it so swapped it for a perception head with 4 magnets on the prop. Now the instuctions are s**t but it seems that the three types of sender are... driven by the gearbox but electric to the speedo. prop shaft 4 magnets and magnetic sensor which is what i have and is only 5mm in diameter or the hall effect which i think is much thicker and works off a slotted disc or tone wheel and has a formular of number off slots in disc x tyre revs/unit distance my instuctions for what their worth says front wheel mounted.

Hope that helps a bit..if you need a copy of what i have mail me. just read the posts before mine, they posted while i was typing and researching. Got my bits from Europa and the perception head that came with magnets ( looks like it fits most electric speedos) was made by Caerbont Automotive Ltd the part No. is EMP30-1KIT

Guest Bob Rowell

I have the VDO electronic speedo. Using four 'bits' of a broken fridge magnet stuck to the edge of the rear brake drum. I used the pick up from a bike speedo (Halfords), cos it's nice and small, mounted on a small bracket fitted to the shock lower mounting.

The way to get it accurate is to use the 'Autocalc' function of the speedo over a measured mile. I have done this with mine then checked it against my sat nav. It is absolutely spot on.

Let me know if you need any more details.