Super Spec Acceleration

peter_m7uk

I was talking to my bro about the turbo Super Spec and we were

wondering just how quick it is. I reckon the 0-60 has to be in the

5-6 secs region. Anyone actually measured it in their Super Spec

(or any other Robin Hood for that matter) ?

Cheers,

Pete

Guest Dredd

My G tech has measured my non turbo SuperSpec at 6.7 secs, but it can do better but as my clutch is a bit iffy then I'm not tempted to do too many runs. -_-

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

My non turbo superspec is quicker to 40 than a Saab 93 Viggen (had some fun on the way home from the SVA centre) so tend to agree with Dredd somewhere around 6 - 6.5 secs is possible in a non turbo.

Tend to think that the turbo car will be about 1 second quicker than that - it'll run out of traction in first and second if you're a bit gungho, which will be the limiting factor.

Peter,

Your Lightweight should do better than that, providing you don't bolt on too many heavyweight goodies. Robin Hood stated that it weighs in at "around 500kg" with a Pinto engine / Type 9 gearbox (heavy combination indeed). Well, a Lotus Elise (S1) weighs 690kg (actually I suspect a bit more) and does 0=60 in 5.9 with only 120bhp (manufacturer's figures). So you can imagine the kind of figures your car is going to achieve!

Please hurry up and collect it as I want a good nosey at it!

Yours nosily

JonB

PS, Dredd, you're not far from me are you? I wouldn't mid having a go with your Gtech. I reckon my DOHC does it in about 10 seconds :)

Hell's Bells! I'm building a guided missile. :blink: Where have RH stated 500kg

with a Pinto/Type 9, out of interest, as that is my boat-anchor choice?!!

I'm sticking with injection, plus I'll have a hot cam, K&N filter and 4-into-1

exhaust, so I reckon around 130Bhp? B) 'Twould appear I'm looking at

the 5-secondish mark, so stick that in your pipe, Rizla ;)

Guest chris brown
I'm sticking with injection, plus I'll have a hot cam
There’s no point in putting a "hot" cam in an injected pinto unless you are going to through away the Ford ECU and go for something like a megersquirt system plus throttle bodies (and I cannot see the point with a Pinto) as the Ford system is fixed and will only accept a very mild upgrade of cam. If you want to keep with Ford and injection then go for a zetech which is far more tuneable. But be willing to spend up to £2K on upgrades. (throttle bodies, management systems etc)

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I agree with Chris , just dont see the point of bits of tuning - ie just a cam or a pair of gas guzzling Webbers , in my humble opinion tuning is a package and not a bolt on fix. It starts at the bottom with the lightened and balnced crank/flywheel/clutch then the so expensive pistons then the mega expensive head so on and so on. The other day there was a crossflow engine sold on e-bay for £6000 but it would rev to 9500k ! allegedley !

What about this for a theory - on Top Gear the stars race the Suzuki around the track and we all see how much they vary on times(along comes Damon Hill and takes 4 seconds off the record !) so do the quicker ones slap in a fr32 cam just before they go ?? So if an EVO gets you of the traffic lights catch him in the bends !!!!!!!!!!! learn how to move smooth but if its only traffic light grand prixs that you like save up for an EVO !!

It is only a mild cam (Kent FR34) and I bought it because the existing cam

lobes were wearing away! Kent say that it will go with the Ford ECU and give

up to 15 extra bhp. B)

Can't afford the stuff you lads are talking about! :boohoo:

Thats a good choice of cam for the injection engine. More lift and little change in the timing so it runs fine on the standard ECU. All you should notice is more power over much the same rev band plus a little extra revs at the top end.

Nigel

Guest chris brown
plus a little extra revs at the top end.
No extra revs Nigel, the ECU switches in the rev limiter at 6200. Most disconcerting when you hit it in 3rd when overtaking. (I know I do a lot of overtaking on private roads B) ;) )

Guest peter2b2002

Thanks Chris, i have been wondering what the rev limit was on a 2ltr efi, as mine hit it on my sva as both my rev counter and the testers didn't work and he kept asking for more revs untill it cut in!!!! passed @98db

cheers Pete2b

Guest salty_monk

The Vortx does 60 in about 3.5 secs or something silly... He doesn't even have to change gear!

Would think 500 is achieavable for weight if it's aluminium, the 2b is only around 700 after all....

130bhp might be a little optimistic even with your mods... I had the same engine except with DGAS & a 285 CAM + modified dizzy & got 121 or 99 at the wheels.

Dan

I've read that the official design weights for the 2b are 600kg Front Axle, 450kg Rear Axle and Gross Weight of 1050kg. Have you weighed your 2b and found

it to be 700kg?!

The standard 2.0efi is quoted at 115bhp, so the mods have to take it at least

into the 120s??