2b/4 Radiator Plumbing

eddieH

Hi,

we're currently trying to fit the new huge 2B/4 radiator and associated plumbing. We intend to use the Sierra expansion tank since the RHE supplied radiator has no filler cap. The expansion tank has two inlets (outlets?) - one at the top and one at the bottom. From what we can tell from photos we have of the RH demonstrator car, both of these are connected to the heater return pipe. This is different to how the Sierra was plumbed up - how should it be done? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Eddie

Guest mastarforth

ditche the supplied radiator and bouy a capri one from Ebay. Mine only cost me a fiver! makes the blumbing a whole lot easier and neater

andrew

Guest Vic & Wendy

Hi Eddie, The Large outlet is the main feed to the engine ( 15mm approx.) the smaller outlet connects to take off from the water pump housing. There may be a third by the filler neck and this is the pressure release / overflow.

Having said all that i ditched mine and bought one from a passat deisel, 6 inch dia sphere and takes up hardly any room. :p

Vic

Vic, the take off on the water pump housing is the heater return. If you use it just for the header there will be no heater flow and no cylinder head cooling flow before the thermostat opens. Some people run without this but it can lead to local hotspots and leaking head gasket. The pump flows coolant into the block and head, then out through the manifold, through the heater and back to the pump. If you don't want a heater you should take a pipe direct from the manifold to the pump. No reason you should not T into the heater return for the main feed to/from the header and that is probably the best route but it's not, IMO, good practice to run without the manifold to pump circuit.

Nigel

(I assume we're talking pinto's here.)

Hi guys,

thanks very much for the replies. We (my brother is helping the build) are now hopeful that the RHE radiator will fit (tried it this morning with the fan, steering and alternator). The plumbing makes more sense now! We'll try and get a 'T' pipe to fit the expansion tank between the manifold and heater / pump (might go electric heater tho). We'll let you know how we get on. Hopefully if all goes well we can get the engine running by the end of the week. Thanks again.

Eddie

Guest Vic & Wendy

Hi Longboarder ( Nige ) Hmmmm my reply to eddie's question was slight woolly, As alway's your spot on, the 15mm outlet goes to the water pump and the 8mm outlet goes to the stat housing and not water pump as i stated (Ooop's). As i don't have the standard heater set up I've T off as you described to complete the water curcuit to the head. So my apologies to you Eddie I'll do better next time promise.

Vic :huh: :blink:

Guest Vic & Wendy

Hi Nigel, yes not much more to do now, just waiting for dashboard parts to come back from the engravers, windscreen washers, screen demisters, side repeaters and general tidying. paperwork for SVA test will be in the post this weekend. :lol:

Vic

Guest Vic & Wendy

Hi Chris, Andrew, don't let Jim see ! who's Jim !! see what !!! :huh: It is my intention to refit the cam belt cover for two reasons, first one is safety and secondly it looks better. However, whats wrong with my pancake i love pancakes :p :p

Vic

Guest chris brown
Hi Chris, Andrew, don't let Jim see ! who's Jim !!
WHO'S JIM!!!!! you will be asking who is the queen next :p :p :p

Jim is Big Jim thats who and he hates pancake filters. :gdit: Mind you with just cause IMHO :wub: