Indicator Problem

Guest AWhite

Guest AWhite

Ok here's a problem for you.......

My mates indicators have stopped working. Hazards work but no indicators.

Haven't actually been over to check it yet but thought someone could give me a heads up to what i'm looking for. Note: he did not wire up the car.

Over the phone told him to disconnect the flasher unit visible from the top of the steering column this stopped the hazards working. He has also visibly checked all his fuses (apparently).

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks guys,

Andy

Guest chris brown

Try working the hazard switch several times with one side indicator selected as the contacts on the hazard switch get corroded due to water ingress ( they were never intended to be in an open car) also try spraying the switch with WD40 (not ideal switch cleaner is better but it will do). The fault you describe is usually caused by the hazard switch not operating all the way back to the normal position.

Guest Phil Slater

I've just wired up my front indiocators and got the opposite problem to one that started this thread. I've got indicators but no Hazzards. :blink:

Could someone tell me in what position is the Hazzard switch in operation i.e. depressed or raised. My indicators work as they should with the switch depressed but in the raised position they don't.

As the switch indicator light does not glow in any position and I can't remember which way it operated on the Sierra I'm stumped. Logic would suggest (to me anyway :) )that to operate the hazzards you would depress the switch - if that is correct then the indicators shouldn't operate anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions please!!

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest AWhite

Yeah with switch up hazards are on. You were right Chris it was the hazard switch that was cauaing the problem. We tried cleaning it etc but that doesn't really help a great deal. Do you know if you can get a replacement switch?

Thanks for your help btw. :D

Guest chris brown
Do you know if you can get a replacement switch?
Local scrap yard is the cheapest as it is integral with the indicator stork it makes it an expensive switch to buy new from uncle Henry.

Guest Phil Slater

:wub: :unsure: :blink: :wub: Doh! It was just the fuse that had blown!! Easy fix and no reoccurence.

My excuse is - the end (SVA that is) is now insight and I can't quite beleive it so I'm expecting some disaster. :p It's only been three years ;)

Guest TerryBarry
no front indicators wired up as yet does this make any difference

Yes - Indicators will not work if only one lamp connected - sometimes they work but flash extremely quickly

yet another evening waisted. all the indicators connected up flash lovely on hazzard but nothing from the indicators. Not the stalk as switched this over from a spare i had.

have rechecked the vg diag all seems as it should be.

anyone got any ideas please

phil

The hazards and indicators have different power supply. Simple test, switch on ignition and check the wire going to pin 49 on the indicator flasher. It should be live all the time the ignition is on. In your case it won't be! Now check it is directly wired to pin 49 on the left column switch. It might be! If not, connect it. If it is check 49 on the switch is live with the ignition on. If it isn't check there is an ignition live with unblown fuse to pin 54 on the left column switch. Then either replace this fuse or add a fused ignition live wire and bobs your uncle.

If Lucas is the Prince of Darkness then Vicci Green's his Princess!

Nigel