Headlamps

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Captain Daz

Sorry to ask, I know it's been said before but....

Headlamp wiring. I have the sierra loom, RHE lamp with a replacement plug including side light.

Coming out of the lamp I have 4 wires (black, red, blue/white, blue/red).

The loom has five wires on each plug.

Drivers side (brown, yellow, white, blue/green, black/red)

Passengers side (Brown, yellow, black/grey, white(which also loops back in to the plug).

I know that:

The lamp wires are: Black (earth for main and side lights)

Red (power for side light)

Blue/white (power for main beam)

Blue/red (power for dip beam)

The loom wires are: Brown (earth)

Yellow (Dip beam)

White (main beam)

I'm not sure about: Drivers: Blue/green (headlight earth?)

Black/red (power for side light?)

Passengers: Black/grey (power for side light?)

White loop back in to plug (dunno)

Do I need to separate the earth in the headlamp?

What do I do about the white loop back in to the plug?

Any threads to the solution would be helpful.

Cheers

Daren

Assuming you have the sierra loom and fuse/relay box and it is all still wired OK and fully loaded with relays. The B/Gr does act as main and dip earth when the head lights are on but acts as a link to the passenger dip beam to connect them in series for dim headlights when sides only are on.

To get them to act in the way Henry intended you need to have separate earths in the right headlight for main/dip bulb(use the black which is already there but disconnect it from the side light bulb) and put in a new earth for the side light which will connect to the sierra loom brown. The black will now connect to the sierra loom blue/green. The wires are otherwise as you have worked out. Not sure what the white loop is in the left hand end of the loom but I would leave it alone and don't make any alterations to the loom or lamp wires on the left.

Nigel

Right side light power is usualy grey/red

You need to have fuses in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7and 17

Daren

drivers side blue and green is the earth return to the haedlamp relay for dip and main beam so you also need a seperate earth for the side lights on that side.think the black and red may be the sidelight power but not sure as mine is grey and red( 88 donor)

passenger side black and grey is probably sidelight power and white loop from plug is for second bulb on main beam on donor twin headlight set so you can cut it out if just using single headlight/bulb setup

steve

Guest Captain Daz

Thanks very much gents.

My thinking was along these lines so I'll give it a go and see what lights up, or not as the case may be.

The loom is straight out of the donor all properly lablled up and the wires I have connected so far are all ok.

Here's hoping.

Thanks again

Cheers

Daren