Heater Pipes

Guest robin

hi all,

trying to plumb in the heater i got from cbs at the last stoneleigh show. i have one of those remote in-line water valves and i was just wondering how to go about putting it all together.

at the moment i have a pipe coming from the water pump straight into the auto choke of my carb, from that it goes into the manifold and presumeably that goes back to the rad and pump.

if i fit the valve and heater after the water pump in-line to the carb then if i switch the water off to the heater then i am also stopping water getting to the carb. surely a bad thing?

so my thinking would be to fit the heater in parallel to the pump and carb. would this work?

i have a nifty diagram but it wont let me post it!!! :gdit:

thanks snapper and longboarder. i thought about that as a solution but like you say you will get still some heat coming through even when turned off but it is still the best method so far and unless i find a two way valve in my local plumb center then that is the way to go.

thanks again robin :)

Guest Alan_builder

Looking at all the postings it looks like you are taking the return to the thermostat housing. All the cooler water should return to the pump which is located in the front of the engine at the bottom.

The hot water emerges from the head via the inlet manifold behind the single cab (assuming that is what u have).

This is where u split the flow and have 2 return legs to the pump above. Make sure u keep the legs as near as possible the same length.

In one leg u will have the carb heater / choke heater mechanism.

In the other leg U will have the passenger heater and if required control valve for regulating the heat.

By keeping the pipe runs as near as possible the same length, the total restriction will be near equal when the heater is on. All the water will go through the choke heater when the passenger heater control is off.

If you notice on many cars these pipes run together where one pipe could take a much shorter route!

Take a look in the Haynes Manual.

:rolleyes:

PS My cab is warm, mini heater with control tap.