Lightweight Chassis Jig

peter_m7uk

After promising photos for a while, finally here they are: Chassis Jig :D (The pics were too big to attach to this post, so they're hosted by a web pics site) Basically, the jig is made from an 8x4 sheet of chipboard attached to a 2x4 sheet to make the 10x4 base. The plank in the middle locates the tunnel bottom (see Jig3 pic) and the planks at the sides raise the body sides up to the level of the tunnel bottom. The small strips on top secure the body sides at 42" apart and the angled planks at the front raise the nose up to the height of the rest of the chassis and support the tapered engine bay section. That is it!! Simple really :rolleyes:

Feel free to ask questions ;)

Pete B)

Yep, it's a *very* basic single garage. The jig is 4' wide and 10' long, whereas the garage is 8 1/2' wide and 16' long, so I only have a couple of feet either side, with 6' to store some crap in. Still enough to work on the car, if you're determined!! ;)

Pete

Guest salty_monk

Won't let me see it... www.photobucket.com is better. Even gives you the IMG code that you can copy & paste straight into the reply box & then your picture will be displayed on here...

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Looks interesting, and fairly easy to setup. Tho i agree the fact that the factory said they would supply the JIG, and not JUST the wood, is pathetic. I assume they give you VERY detailed directions into the EXACT dimensions of that jig. Any possibility that you could post them?? (I don't think they were already posted)

Actually, i am also very interested in the fact that this is my FIRST view of the actual body/chassis panels!!! (Since i have not yet received my kit) Would love to see more of them. Do you know what grade/alloy of aluminum the panels are? ie, any designations that give you clue (stamping, etc)? One of the more important questions i have in to RH, that has yet to be answered....

Tks, -sm

What were you expecting, Docter? Surely not a wood-working masterclass from Robin Hood? :p

ScotMac, they do give detailed dimensions, but to be honest, the only important thing is getting the middle plank nice and straight, and getting the width of the slim side strips at 42". Even then, the chassis is almost self-jigging, so it's not *that* critical! No idea about the ally grade I'm afraid and no indications either. All I can say is that most of the panels are 1mm, with 2mm used for some of the more load-bearing parts, like the tunnel bottom. I'll be posting more pics as I go along, so keep an eye out. :D

Piddy, yeah you can use those pics, but I'd rather re-take them in better lighting,

as they were done at night. I'll snap them again tomorrow in daylight.

Salty, it appears that the files have shrunk on webshots.com, so I can now post below!! ;)

Pete

Guest ScotMac

LOL about the space issue, Colin!!! Ur gonna be spending half ur time taking things in/out of the garage!!!

The more of i see of the panels, the more i think of a kids lego project, on steriods!!! ;-)

Is that ALL the panels??? Looks even more ShipABLE than i thought!!! ie, all of them but the hoops and the front cone??? Can't be...

Anyway, thanks for the shots....