Fuel Cat

Joel

Guest Great Scott!!

ah yes my donor came with one of these devices,got the receipt for it too the previous owner payed over £60 fitted 4 months before i bought the car :)

As far as i'm aware they are a cylinder filled with lead pellets that lubricates the engine.

i'm gonna retain it and fit to the 2B if i can find space to put it!

The Classic car mags which have a readership seriously interested in the unleaded problem give all these tin pellet jobs the thumbs down. In a test run for Practical Classics magazine no manufacturer would agree to submit samples and allow publishing of uncensored results of their products. There are a number of liquid additives which can be used with unleaded containing, I think, either sodium or potassium which have a proven track record but surely the easiest thing is to find a fuel injected head in the scrappy and fit that.

Nigel

Run it on unleaded for 3 tankfull, then put a tankfull of LRP crap in. Better still, just run it on unleaded, if and when your valves start to leak a bit and the power drops off, then just change the head as suggested. You'll find that for the mileage the average Hoodie does, you've got a good couple of years in it yet!

And by - the - way, those "sparkrite" do - da's are crap as well, don't waste your money on one (I did :( )

I know that this may be a bit of a bumm3r but there are reports around that say that LRP is not much use either and even mixing different brands of LRP can give problems as they are not all based on the same chemicals. Unleaded plus one of the proven additives does work. You can even get one with an octane booster so you can run that high compression head. If you can find it go to a garage that is supplied by Bayford Thrust to buy real unleaded (www.leadedpetrol.co.uk) every few tankfulls and that will give your valve seats grand protection. But I still say fit an injection head and forget the whole problem!

Nigel.

I agree about the LRP, it's crap! and by all means fit an injection head, but don't rush to do it, as it'll be a long time before the valves go knackered on the mileage the average hoodie does, bide your time until a head comes available at the right price ie, nowt or next to nowt!

Guest Simon cooper

Hi guys,

Long time no speak.

Fuel cats: Don't waste your money. In short they are tubes with Tin balls in and sometimes magnets. There are also types that are Tin balls in a bag that are inserted into the fuel tank. None of them have ever been proved to save you from valve seat wear. They also claim a lot more like fuel saving. this has also not been proved however i have heard a story that they were fitted to WWII spitfires. How true, i don't know.

Think about it, if it was that easy, then all your manufacturers would fit them as standard and instantly get the greenies off their backs and save millions of pounds in development.

LRP: This fuel has no British standard certificate and is of very poor quality.

The old Ford valve saving idea of 1 in 4 of 4 star did have science to back it up. The lead needed to save valve seats was in fact only a 1/4 of what was actualy in 4 star (by mr Fords calcs). This however does not apply to LRP.

It is estimated that it will take 20,000 miles of normal driving to give you a big problem with unleaded. As long as you keep an eye on your tappet clearances (they will close up with wear) it will be quite a while till you feel a power drop. Use the stuff till you need a head.

You do need to retard by 4 degrees from standard setting though if you want to use it.

Simon