Sliding Pillar Iva Fail

Guest sadjagboy

Guest sadjagboy

Had my IVA today in Bishopbriggs (Glasgow), Allan was the tester, very nice helpful guy.

My car decided it would be entertaining for the side lights not to work, had car in bits as we got there nice and early but couldn't see anything obvious, so four fails (front marker, rear marker, number plate illumination and insturment illumination) methodical work through, so easy, but potentially time consuming.

Rear brakes were binding so couldn't carry out speedo test, started with this and had another go at the end, but still binding, should be straight forward to sort out (better prep needed!)

Also had weight problem car weight Axle 1 (frt) was okay, but at the rear 444 and had 425kg on my form, but no big deal as he told me that I can tell him increased weights 'after I've checked with Robin Hood'

Got 4 sharp edges to be blunted, 2 in drivers footwell, I thought they were in exempt area, but no, better prep needed!. the other 2 were underneath car at the back , maybe every one else has always folded the edge up, but easy fix.

The fail I'm not sure how to fix is that the shock absorbers at the front hit the tyres at just before full lock, so glad I have a sliding piller 2B. I've already got a spacer in place and if I increase that by much I'll have coverage issues with the cycle wings, could move the cycle wings out too, wouldn't be a big deal, anyone any other suggestions on this point?

Managed to fit in my build up inspection too in Edinburgh as I had the car on the trailer. Went in to ask about it on Friday as I was nearby, very positive response. Checked if it was still okay to come after fail, and told I could come if I wanted and set the wheels in motion. So drove from Glasgow to Edinburgh and sorted that out, just need to pass IVA and Insurance sorted and I'll be on the road.

All in all a really good day, lots and lots of positives. :clapping:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions re sliding pillar shocker/ tyre issue.

Angus

post-2911-0-15118600-1332181455_thumb.jpg

Hi,

If your steering lock on full lock fouls the tyres, have you considered adding a spacer inside the steering rack to limit the amount of travel so that full lock is physically limited?

It would go inside the steering boot I believe so would need a strip down to fit one (or two for both sides)

Simon.

Hi Angus,

For the wheel lock issue I'd do as Simon has suggested.

I did something similar to get my Slidding pillar through SVA by pulling back the steering rack boot and fitting a Jubilee clip over the inner shaft (then refit boot). This is obviously only a quick temporary fix, but would be enough to get you through the test. It will make quite a difference to your turning circle though...

HTH

Guest sadjagboy

Thanks for your replies, better check my stock of jubillee clips. I knew there would be a straight forward answer and this site never fails to come up with it, can't imagine I'd have managed the build without it.

Thanks

Angus

I have spacers on my rack.Same problem, to limit travel to pass SVA, but I luckily spotted it and fitted them in advance. I had them made up to this sort of pattern by local engineering firm for a few quid. I have them in one piece but that means unbolting the trackrods from the rack which is a bit scary. The pic shows them in two piece bolt together style. Need to be sliding fit on rack and slide inside outer rack case with good clearance. Dimensions would depend on your rack.

Nigel

post-21-0-25257800-1332235088_thumb.jpg

Guest sadjagboy

Thanks Nigel,

I've forwarded your pic to my lathe and milling machine owning friend. I like the speed of the hose clip solution, but your solution is one I'd be happier to live with long term.

Many thanks

Angus

Guest shaggy

You could always replace the weak springs as supplied with 300lb springs. I did this on mine, no longer had bottoming out and also improved the handling a lot.

Si

I quote an old post.

You must declare design weights that exceed the actual measured weight of the car under all normal circumstances so that in use the car cannot be overloaded and thus 'unsafe'.

At IVA they weigh the car to find kerb weights of axles 1 & 2 and these added together give the gross kerb (kerb = unladen) weight of the car. They then measure the car length, Axle positions, seat positions and centre of load area. Their computer then sits two 68kg virtual people in the seats and places their 7kg of virtual luggage each in the boot. Using some maths it then works out how much of this extra weight (2x68=136 + 2x7=14) = 150kg is going over the front Axle and how much is added to the rear axle. These it calls the maximum front and rear Axle weights and the maximum gross weight. It then checks that these new calculated figures are less than the design Axle weights and the design overall weight that you have submitted on the form.

Robin Hood official figures for design weights should be something like 500/600/1100kg. I can't see any advantage in quoting design weight figures any closer to actual kerb weight figures. The only other relevance of the design weights is in braking calculations. No Hood is ever going to be under-braked. Proportioning of braking effort front/rear/handbrake for IVA is not affected by design weights as far as I can see.

Nigel

ps.I don't know where it puts the virtual luggage if you haven't got a boot. On your laps perhaps. I doubt it would allow you to travel without luggage. :pardon:

• Like 1