Problem Fitting Jbw Mini Lites - Holes In Wheels Too Small For Studs

Guest donaldthomps

Guest donaldthomps

Just tried fitting my new JBW Mini Lites, it appears the holes for the studs are 2 or 3 mm too small - the studs are centered perfectly.

I have a friends Compomotive ML wheel here, it's the exact same size - and fits fine.

The wheels are the correct PCD - 108 Ford (at least it says so on the wheels and box).

Has anyone seen this before?

Is there a fix to this, perhaps fitting studs of a slightly smaller dia?

Mine's a 2B Superspec, the donor was a 2L Sierra.

Thanks!

Guest donaldthomps

Is it just the shoulder of the stud thats stopping the sitting tight up? or is the hole 2 to 3mm small so the stud wont go through the hole at all?

What diameter are your studs? I assume they are the normal M12 studs? (take a 19mm socket on the nuts?)

It is the shoulder of the studs stopping them going in the wheel by the look of it, the studs in at the moment are way too long so need to fit something shorter anyway.

I think they are standard, need to check this tomorrow - could you explain a little more about taking a 19mm socket to them - I'm a little green at the moment?

if what i am thinking is correct then you have the same problem as i had. my new alloys had 2 sets of holes ones that weren't 108pcd but were big enough for normal alloy nuts and the 108pcd holes which were much narrower.

What you need if this is the case is 'tuner' nuts. something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-RED-Alloy-Wheel-Tuner-Nut-Bolt-Key-Lock-Locking-UK-/160605640965 NB this is a random search so find ones for your car.

added advantage of being effectively 4 locking wheel nuts on each wheel as its an uncommon internal fitting.

hth

Guest donaldthomps

if what i am thinking is correct then you have the same problem as i had. my new alloys had 2 sets of holes ones that weren't 108pcd but were big enough for normal alloy nuts and the 108pcd holes which were much narrower.

What you need if this is the case is 'tuner' nuts. something like this http://www.ebay.co.u...K-/160605640965 NB this is a random search so find ones for your car.

added advantage of being effectively 4 locking wheel nuts on each wheel as its an uncommon internal fitting.

hth

Do these replace the stud and nut?

Did you have spacers on with previous wheels? Think some spacers used a "stepped" stud for location of the spacer & to give greater strength for the longer stud.

If an M12 bolt passes through the holes in the wheel get correct length studs & try again.

Guest donaldthomps

Did you have spacers on with previous wheels? Think some spacers used a "stepped" stud for location of the spacer & to give greater strength for the longer stud.

These are the wheels I have on at the mo - http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=35274&do=findComment&comment=267750

Fit fine using no spacers.

The odd thing is, the Compomotive ML wheel I have is the same PCD 108 for and ET 0 and goes right on...

The holes in the wheels are a little bigger, thats all.

Guest mower man

Get on to the supplier ,then the manufacturer DONOT start buggering about drilling reaming etc as you will be out on your own , my own ops only ! mower man you don't really want to join the 3 wheel club do you !!! :acute: :clapping:

I would agree with Mick (mowerman) above.

DO NOT ream the holes as you may end up with an off centre wheel and / or weaken the wheel itself. I know it's a pain but you would be better off swapping them for the right size wheel and you would have better peace of mind for yourself.

(Unless it's the studs as has been said above of course)

Simon.

Guest donaldthomps

Progress!

After sleeping on the matter, I had another go this morning - and got them on.

I had to give them a good wriggle - push and pull and studs went through.

Once they we on, they had plenty of movement and slid on just fine.

Just to clarify, the holes are in the wheels are smaller in dia than the Compomotive ML and the original wheels - will be speaking to the garage in the morning about it.

Thanks for advising everyone, I will post an update from the seller here once I have spoken to him.

It's the spigot on the hub then

They get a bit dirty or corroded often need a clean up before fitting new wheels

Now I am preparing to be told off once again but I wire brush the spigot outer lip then do a light smear of copper grease.

hi sorry hope i didn't confuse you. What i was thinking was that you were saying that the holes were too narrow to get the nuts back on.

my wheels have a similar fitting to these http://www.topgear.co.uk/alloy-wheels/asuka-ke10-white where the one set of holes are more open and fit a normal alloy wheel nut and the other set of holes (108pcd) are narrower although samebolt hole diameter. So i had to buy tuner nuts which are slim fitting as they have an internal star-key. I only replaced the nuts.

From what you've said your problem wasn't what i was thinking, assuming you can get the nuts back on without a problem in the holes.