What Make Of Shocks To Go For - Avo, Spax, Gaz Etc

agent_zed

Hi,

so having to change the zimmers as the bushes are pretty much gone, so might as well upgrade. So started having a look around ebay etc and not sure which brand to try and find.

I know a lot of you like Gaz shocks and it may be the case that i do buy new although that would be around £400 from what i can see but might be cheaper for other makes

so i guess i am wondering what people think of the other makes incase i come across them.

So i am seeing Avo, Spax, Gaz and protech

i cant remember if it was avo or spax that had a bad reputation as the boss said they couldnt be rebuilt after 5 years on a forum whilst claiming they were rebuildable in the adverts.

any advice appreciated.

Just put procomp on my stylus. Wow they are better than all other makes. They actually work. I paid £208 a pair then bought my springs from a company via the members benefit section, £18 a pair discount (just need membership no.)

My car has gone from hard riding and poor to amazing. ...

hmm maybe a little out of my budget as if i do all four corners it will be around £460.

is there anything around the £300s mark? Whilst i know you get what you pay for im putting it on my 2b which has some limitations to the geometry anyway so not sure i will reap the benefits of more expensive units at the moment.

thanks for the replies

I will be replacing my AVO shocks this year if I get time and will buy a different brand. As far as I can tell AVOs seem to work fine. Their appearance deteriorates rapidly. No idea if procomp are better but I will find out. I had two shocks refurbished a while ago. The shiny chrome shaft in one was damaged at AVO and I had to return them. I was not impressed with the service or attitude on the phone. I will vote with my feet.

Nigel

Nigel, The procomp ive just bought replaced fully functioning avos. The avos were / are valved for heavy cars I was on click 1. (TO HARD) The difference with the procomp is unreal it now goes round corners and bumpy rds are no longer bumpy.

The guys were really helpful and full of advice

• 1 month later...

so been looking about a bit and seeing whats to be had and i'm seeing brand new pairs of Gaz shocks on ebay for £160 setup for caterham. Is there any reason why they would be wrong they are open 12.5 inches and closed 9.5 inches. I'm running the stock wishbones.

I'm thinking the springs would be too light so would have to buy 350lbs ones but could sell the others (assuming they aren't correct or that the seller can't source 350ls ones).

If i bought all round it would come to £320 which is £80 cheaper than i've seen elsewhere.

If they are set for caterham they should be around the correct valving, i'm thinking.

I don't know the models of gaz shocks is there more than one? and if so which should i be looking for?

thoughts?

thanks

Hi,

yeah gave him a call but they are £400 for a set which is £80 (25%) more than i can get them for, and my car isn't a super fast track car so i'm really just looking to replace the zimmers with something slightly better but still in the budget end.

The geometry on the 2b is all wrong anyway so i'm not sure i will be getting full benefit from the extra cost. As far as i can tell they would be the same unit anyway.

It would be really useful to know

front:

Open/closed length for the front of a 2b with the RH wishbones

Spring weight (i am thinking 350lbs currently have 320 green zimmers)

spring length

Rear:

Open/closed length for the front of a 2b with the RH wishbones

Spring weight (ive read people use 350lbs )

spring length

If anyone can let me know that would be really useful

Thanks all