Donington, The Debate!

Big Jim

Prices were far too high. the only reasonable bit was the £2 entry for kit drivers. £8 for passengers is too much, and £10 for joe public is obscene. Food was far too expensive too. £3 for a tiny portion of chips! At my local chippy I can barely carry £3 of chips, let alone eat them!

Not wanting to sound like I'm happy paying the prices quoted, but you're talking rubbish Ant.

first of all, the circuit and the exhibition centre are 2 separate businesses.

How much do you think it costs to hire Donington circuit for a day? look around £10K (possibly more) so to hire it for 2 days, you'll need to pay more than £2,£8 & £10 admission.

How much to rent the exhibition centre? then the camping & parking area? (extra cost, they'll all need cleaning up etc)

Also, if you think that Donington are overcharging (& they probably are) note, that over the last few years, it has made a trading loss. World superbikes have gone to Silverstone because of the poor facilities, the Bike GP will follow, once the 5 year contract comes to an end in a couple of years.

Yes, I can buy a portion of chips at my local chippy for 90p, but he's not paying £350/day rent.

I paid £2 for my weekend, didn't buy any chips, didn't buy any booze, I took my own food & drink, and even if you forget, there's a supermarket in Castle Donington where you could have got whatever there, so gentlemen, organize yourselves.

I've split this from the original set of answers, as It's a debate on the expectations & value (or not) of Donington & kitcar shows in general.

Jim - I'm looking at it from a day visitor, not a camper. I and some friends turned up on Sunday morning, paid our entrance fees, and expected a good day out in return. We didn't really get that, and as such I think the prices were too high. That opinion is not "rubbish" - it's personal to me! Mick asked for comments, and I'm only writing how I see it.

Anyhow I and some friends from work who were there on Sunday have all agreed that we're not going to Donnington show again unless it's on the day when the track is open. Last year we all came away very happy. This year we were all disappointed. Prices are part of that but must be balanced against the content and displays on offer for us to see. If Donnington facilities are too expensive then maybe it's the wrong place to hold a kit car show in the first place. Either way it gets a thumbs down for what I saw there yesterday. I would go again, but only on the track day.

Ant

OK Ant I hear what you're saying, and actually I agree with you, but if it was the track action you wanted to see, then why didn't you check which day it was on? as it's only been on 1 day now for a few years.

I'm not defending the prices, but I'm telling you why they are so high, and sooner or later they'll price themselves out of business.

I've already stated that if it wasn't for the community spirit of the club (with over 43 car on our pitch overnight Sat/Sun) I wouldn't attend most of the shows, especially Donington & Harrogate.

Do you go to Football? how much is that for 1½hrs of "entertainment"?

At the end of the day, everyone has to decide just how much they are prepared to spend for what they'll get back in return. You can reduce the outlay by getting yourself organised beforehand.

Guest Bob's Babe

Jim,

I agree with you on the costs of holding the shows but surely they can sort out a family ticket cos it can be a nightmare at most shows if there are more than 2 of you or you have to tin top it.

The kids and I had a great time, for us it is all social and fun, but it is a tad expensive. I do all our food and drinks apart from icecreams ( i can deal with £7.50 for 5 almost) but it's a good job we lie about camping and can hide the sleeping bags!

SUE :wub:

Guest Daren.F

Is it possible to negotiate a deal with the show organisers, for a number of discounted familly tickets to be distributed through the owners clubs for the exclusive use of members spouse and children?

I assume the answer will be No! as the complimentary tickets for the committee have become rare.

I don't see a down side to this, as if the tickets are issued carefully to only those who would not attend if paying full price, then revenue on site would increase due to more icecreams etc being sold.

If the organisers want more revenue they should try setting up a mobile shop selling beer, milk and bacon as I spend more on these than entry fee's :p

Remember guy's, I'm playing "Devils Avocate" here, and explaining why prices are set as they are, not that I agree with them.

If the organisers want more revenue they should try setting up a mobile shop selling beer, milk and bacon

It's easier for them to charge a flate rate per day for each food outlet, then if it rains, and no-one comes, it's not their problem, they've got their money. (Although the circuit side of things have started running their own food outlets, but they are only open for big events)

As I've already said a number of times, they will price themselves out of it to a point were not enough traders or people will attend, then Limelight will pull out of it as they're not making enough money on the show (that's all they're into it for, nothing else!!) then unless Cookie or someone picks it up, who's prepared to run it for a smaller profit, and trim things down (look at Harrogate) there won't be a Kitcar show at Donington.

for my 2p worth.

£2 driver for 1 day, £3 for both. same price for passenger on production of current club membership card. (both driver & passenger to show cards)

They can do this, if each club sends a copy of there current membership card. (It will also bring in members to the various clubs)

£8 for non-members in tin-tops, £10 for 2 days.

Camping at £3 for the weekend (whatever you stop)

Family tickets at discount whatever.

Guest carl leonard

Jim you are spot on!

These organisations are there for one thing TO MAKE MONEY and we would do the same if we were in business.

People don't mind paying a reasonable price to get in these events as long as the facilities are GOOD.

I agree, if the organisers don't sort this out Donniington will be a thing of the past.

Guest docter fox

me and my dad went to our first show in the hood (the tatty one in the corner which needs a lot of work) and it was £10 for both of us to get in. which when you think about it isnt really that bad when you ask yourself what else could you do with £10 nowadays.

i agree that the food and drinks were expensive but they are at every event, park, showground or attraction there is!

i can understand that the price to get in would soon add up if it was with a family and a family ticket would be good.

a small shop selling food and drink for a bit less and more facilities would definately be an improvement.

we didnt stay and camp over but £10 for a days entertainment seems very good to me...

IMHO

James

The first show I went to was at the Three Counties Showground which was the closest to me. It was the first time I saw the Robin Hood kit, a ford sierra donor with the chassis strapped to the roof and all the bits inside the car (buy the kit and drive it home).

The show only lasted one more year then it was off the calender, don't know why.

Looks like some other shows could go the same way if there not careful.

Les

Guest mickmellors

Hi James - It would appear that your £10's come to you a lot easier than mine come to me !!!!!!!! You must be LOADED !!!!! :)

If I remember correctly you are around 16/17 years old (?) - do you work for a living and pay your own show entrance fees or do you get treated by good old Dad :wub: when you go to Shows ?

Perhaps when you have a mortgage and electric bills , gas bills etc etc etc to pay out of your wages and find yourself left with only £10 at the end of a full working week you will have a slightly different view :boohoo: ;)

A few years ago I hit a tough patch and was working 6 x 12 hour nightshifts in a pop factory earning a few pence above UK minimum wage. It gave me a different respect for the good money I earn when I do my normal job and it also gave me a high respect for people on low incomes. I was left with just over £3 per week after paying bills etc. to support the home and family, just enough for a pint and a bag of crisps! :( How would you value the price of a pint and a bag of crisps if you had to work 72 hours for them? I would have had to work 4 weeks to save up the £10 to get in the show for a day and I would certainly expect to get my moneys worth.

Anyway enough ramblings from an old frump eh? Thankls for your input - its good to see a young persons point of view in with all us oldies !!!!! ;) See you at loads more shows - dont forget to bring DAD !!!!!!!!!!!

Guest docter fox

im 16 and actually it was me who paid for both me and dad to get in!

i went with my dad to london during the summer holidays and was working 10 or 11 hour days for a month to earn the money for my car and towards the insurance.

most of my friends are getting there cars bought for them by there parents and i thought i would have to pay for mine in full but dad kindly said he would go halves on anything i spent on my first car (the hood - which seems to be more his at the moment as i cant drive it yet) the funny thing is that as it is my money that i keep spending i appreciate it a lot more and feel it really is mine.

il hopefully be at as many shows as possible (and you may see a gradual improvement in the car) and im looking forward to a show which i can drive to! :D

Guest mickmellors

Well done you !!! My Dad struck a similar deal with me to help me buy my first motorbike and I too worked every weekend for a year to earn the money to pay my half and I too had a deep satisfaction at having a superb bike in return for my hard work.

If you are in the habit of paying for your Dad to get into shows - you dont fancy adopting me as an Uncle do you ? !!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Guest docter fox

if im honest its first show iv paid for us both to get in for but we put everything on an excel spreadsheet and work out how much we have spent and then go halves on it.

Its a great feeling to own a first car that i worked for :D (especially a hood)

I couldnt agree more, we too went halves on our hood and my half was earned working a night shift and every sunday as overtime for a year and a half . makes it all worthwhile if you can look at the hood when you've paid for it and realise what all those long nights and sleepless days were all about. The best money i think i've ever spent too!

Things are starting to get cheaper for us though at the moment : the guy at the gate at Donno let my dad in as an OAP!!!! :D :lol: when he gets the bus pass it should be even cheaper!

Paul