Painting A Step By Step Guide

steve_wilson

hi all,

this isn't hood related but i'd rather ask the question on here than on any other forum so here goes...

on my tin top part of the "styling kit" has come off. i have got a replacement part and it comes primered (i think...it's grey anyway)

What are the steps to get this to my normal car colour again? i've done very little paintwork in my time, but i do have a compressor and spraygun. just need to know what to buy, where from and what to do!!! :D

Thanks, Andy

There's a really good step-by-step guide to painting and repairs HERE

If it's quite small you'll find it a lot easier with aerosols - less hassle and easier to get a good finish on small areas. If it's a whole bumper or equivalent though, you're better off going the compressor/spay-gun route.

Find out where your local auto-paint supplier is - ask at a garage/accident repair place or motor factors if you don't know. We have a brilliant place locally, where the staff will happily spend ages talking you through each step and giving handy tips. Plus you can spend hours thumbing through the colour swatch cards, whilst fantasising about future projects - or is that just me? :rolleyes:

Anyway, to answer your original question;

1)Plastic primer or etch primer (if it's un-primed plastic)

2)Possibly a colour primer (some colours require specific colured primers e.g. red/white, etc)

3)Top coat colour (find the paint code on your car) - this should be one item, unless you have a complicated layered mica paint finish

4)Clear lacquer (if you have pearl/metallic/mica colours)

5)sundries - wet&dry (fine grade), cutting compound (G3 - G10 or similar)

B)

iam not particularly good but i sprayed my car and it wasnt too bad so her goes.

If you have a flat color then it will be easier as you probably wont need a lacquer. If it is metallic paint you most likely need a lacquer. you can test if it has a lacquer by rubbing a small area with thinners (inside the boot or somewhere where it wont show) if you get colour on the rag then it doesnt have a lacquer.

You should prime the wing. I did 3 good coats of primer gradually building up. If you find big runs wait for it to dry a bit then flat down with 1200 wet and dry with washing up liquid and water. Dry. Then apply the colour coat. on the last colour coat thin it a bit extra and put a lighter coat on to get a nice shinny finish. If you are applying a lacquer you may want to flat it again if it isnt smooth before the lacquer.

if it is metallic paint make sure you keep the paint mixed swirl it every now and again or you will get areas with more metal bits.

Dont spray in very hot conditions as the paint will dry before it hits teh surface and orange peel. Keep the gun equal distance fromt eh surface and release the trigger past the end of the stroke so you dont get an area where the paint is getting thicker when you stop and start.

DONT use 2 pack as it is isocyanate and needs breathing equipment. I know cellulose isnt as good but its better than being dead (ok probably not that bad but better safe than sorry). Get a good mask any way, i used a p2 28day mask from screwfix for £10 which filters organic solvents and such like.

Someone may have better advice than i do as ive just got this from bits ive read and picked up when spraying my car. HTH