Scalectrix

Mat-Moo

Guest TerryBarry

There is a product "PECO Track Cleaner/rubber"

It's like an eraser but has some form of fine abrasive in it

Try local model railway supplier

"Morningstar" in Camberley Town centre may be able to help - they certainly stock Scaletrix & Hornby

Carbon tetrachloride will be difficult to find ( now reckoned to be carcinogenic) also an ozone depleter

Guest paul091085

with an old train layout i had several years ago that had been stored, i was told to use a very fine grade of emery paper. providing you dont use it too often i was told it does little harm to the track and did the job of removing the rust and grime

Carbontetrachloryd is pretty deadly stuff, if its the stuff im thinking off it was used in electrical fire extinguishers on board ship as it didnt damage anything but the fumes can kill. I had a bottle but i threw it away at the beginning of the year

Hmm plebys look interesting, I guess wet and dry will also do the job as well..

No matter how careful you are, wet and dry will damage the track surface (the black bit). I used to sand mine in this way but the track ended up looking pretty scuffed round the slot. Maybe you could make a T shaped guide that you insert into the slot to keep the abrasive centred over the metal? The other thing is the track to track contacts. It's quite difficult to clean those. Perhaps a very thin file for the female part, and again abrasive for the male?

Cheers

JonB

Guest timswait

Carbon tetrachloride sounds like an organic solvent, which means it will dissolve the plastic bit, but not touch the metal or the tarnish :(

A concentrated strong acid will remove the tarnish, shouldn't do too much to the plastic, but I think abrasives are still a better bet ;)

We had our old Scalectrix set up recently and it was tarnished too, in the end we used a 2p coin. Putting it down flat and presseing it firmly rubbed it up and down the electircal contacts rails to remove the surface, if done carefully it will bring up a good finish and do no damage to the tracks at all.

Gareth