Max Power Rpm Question And Choice Of Test Station

Guest goatpeter

Guest goatpeter

I've been encouraged by Alan_Builder to lean on you for some moral support, as I've run out of energy and my wife's run out of patience following an IVA fail and 2 retest failures.

The final failure was due to excessive noise and after totting up the hours and the spend, plus a comment from the examiner that the test was always evolving, so don't presume it will pass when you've fixed the noise led me to the harsh decision to put the car up for sale on Ebay.

So my 2 questions are ;

When working out the max power, I was using an rpm of 5600, but after revving the car to the 75% i.e. 4000 rpm I can't believe that the engine's got another 2000 rpm in it and was reminded of Scotty in Star Trek's famous line.

I was reminded of a comment from another examiner at the IVA test station who was convinced that the engine was out of a Transit, which got me thinking that the max power RPM would be different and explain why it sounded like the engine was going to blow at 4000 rpm. I've been told that Ford can tell from the engine number me what the engine went in and then use that to prove the max rpm, but wanted to ask your advice first.

The second question is whether to give up on Manchester and head to Derby or Birmingham for the next IVA test, in the hope of a fresh pair of eyes without the baggage of an IVA test and retest failure, or is it better to take it back with a quieter pipe in the hope that they don't find anything on this IVA test that they didn't find in the first place.

Again your advice and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

Guest craig030774

for sva i put 4500 rpm and stuffed a couple of stainless pan scourers in the pipe. they blew out as soon as i give it some after the test passed :D .

dont give up you have come this far keep yer chin up.

i also took a support car with lots of tools and bits of trim so i could doctor if needed at the station

Hi

My dad has a 2ltr tansit and there are 2 things that externally i have noticed that are different from my 1.6 sierra pinto. These being it runs a twin v belt pulley and also the exhaust manifold exits as a single pipe virtically in between 2 and 3. unlike my pinto exhaust manifold which exits in a twin pipe at an angle to the rear to miss the engine mount (not a problem in the transit). This is in a j-reg van.

I would have thought both of these things would have needed to be changed to allow it to be put in a 2b.

thats not to say that you haven't got a transit pinto as these bits are easily changed, but it might give you a clue if you have either of these things.

I think it was on the build videos that ive heard it said to retard the engine slightly to get a lower noise, obviously you then don't get full power and presumably is why it is quieter even though its still the same rpm.

hth

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cooperarma

First Peter can I say if you have got this far with all the problems I can guarantee you have had so far don't stop now.

For SVA the RPM for max power you put on the application sheet is the one they use right or wrong. I put 3000 and they tested at 2600 and complained that it was too low but accepted the pass. If the IVA has changed this approach then I am unaware of that change.

If you have failed the IVA and a retest they should have told you in the report what it failed on, they do not retest the whole car just the parts that failed. I do not understand his comment 'it may fail on something else', they should have tested it and told you what it failed on.

I regularly test my 2lt pinto at track days at 4500 and it registers 100db, then I take the wire wool out of the tail pipe (held in by a spring clip forced backwards). Or place some chicken wire at the entrance to the silencer (engine side) and place some wire wool upstream.

If noise is your only problem it can be fixed.

I retested twice on SVA because I did not take enough attention of what that said that wanted but I got there in the end. Take someone else with you on the test and you stick to the examiner like glue ask questions and opinions and they will assist you, you can also book them for a consultancy period to give you advice on how to comply with the test requirement.

There is always a way to finish the job. The joy you will get from the finished product is worth all the agro, trust me I have been there and doing it again for a second time.

If you are really desperate PM me and we can talk it over, always happy to help.

dont loose heart !

its only a test , mayby easyer to say than take part in , i have done 4 svas each have been different for different reasons .

all have had at some time my heart in my mouth , but the rules are the rules , as such the rules are intrenched , use them .

if you post 1 db below the pass of ie 100 db then you pass how that is achieved is up to you ,

use the wire wool use pan scourers whatever it takes to pass , use the regs to your advantage .

re the fail , note the issues and resolve them , the other bits are sorted .you only have to sort the bits that failed

on the first test .

the testers work methodically to a book of regs , there should be no leway on those regs .

all the best get that car in for its retest .

graham

not to start a big debate ;) but I had a feeling that it wasn't necesarily true that you would only get re- tested on the bits that failed. Technically they should have noted all the bits that failed but if they spot something that they didn't the first time or some trim that has since fallen off they will have to fail it, surely!

Same with mot if i get a retest after i fix a bulb and my bumper falls off on the way to the retest they won't pass it. Otherwise if you failed on a worn rear tyre you could just swap it with the front and get a pass even though you would be unroadworthy

Try and get the same guy that tested you. When i had a retest i spoke to the test centre and booked a time with the same guy so i knew he was happy with the bits he'd already looked at. Another tester may have been different.

hth

The Transit engine has the pistons further down the bore at TDC or you can compression test it, all pressures are in the Haynes manual as are the peak BHP at which revs, i photocopied the page and took to SVA.

To make the exhaust quiet I used a decibel insert from a member the same type as sold by Demon Tweeks, tack welded it in the exhaust pipe between manifold and exhaust pipe and got 96 db at test

Guest cooperarma
If you put high RPM (5000) and it should have been less can it be changed on the form

and if so how

jon

I do not believe you can change it.

I put incorrect wheel weight measurments on my SVA and one of the fail issues was that the weights were over what the tested values were on the day.

I was able to change the weights to the found results (which they gave me) on the retest form not during that test.

If you have put 5000 you need to reduce the noise level at 75% of that figure, to a reading under the max level allowed by whatever means at your disposal or it will not pass.

Guest Alan_builder
If you put high RPM (5000) and it should have been less can it be changed on the form

and if so how

jon

Any one know how to make the ref counter read higher?

Do you have a list of faults on your failure notice? That is what you need to fix, and only that should be tested. This list is the retest sheet or it was for SVA and I am sure the IVA is the same. Often a retest is scheduled for the same day as as a test, so a lot less time is available, also as the money is reduced how can the retest it all for the revised lower sum?

Your car should be built in the first place to be PERMINENT and DURABLE so bits of trim won't fall off anyway. If there is a disaster and a bit falls off the tester will normally let you fix it, suggest he HAS A CUP OF TEA. a GOOD LINE OF PATTER HELPS.

I think I said about the spider in the exhaust.

PM me if I can help.

Steve, are you near by?

Alan

I :wub: my :rhsc: