Distance Selling Regs Why Don't People Understand Them!

agent_zed

Bought an air filter off ebay. Which turned out to be too small so decided to return. So paid to send it back for a refund.

The seller (bbclassiccars) refunded me but chose to not refund me the cost of postage. Which A. is against distance selling regs and

B. wrong as it was listed as free postage so how can they just choose a random amount to keep.

another person who doesn't understand distance selling.

avoid them if you can took so long 'finding' the package i returned and waiting to refund that i can't do an ebay dispute.

grr

must be buy it now on auction sites not auction to get distance selling rules. if faulty or not as described seller pays or refunds return postage (problem is eBay isn't geared towards this like amazon is). you should only be out of pocket for time and packing it. if you don't like it then you pay return postage,but should get full refund including original postage.

contact paypal, they may help. failing that credit / debit card company and head towards the chargeback route.

I assume you accepted the refund offer? if you did, best not to if you are not happy, else dispute is still open?

Yeah so it wasn't faulty i just cancelled so i knew i had to pay return postage which was not a problem. But he then took off money for the original postage that he had paid to send it. So i paid for both lots of postage. wouldn't have sent it back it i knew it was going to cost me £6 overall for nothing.

It was buy it now so does come under the rules.

I did accept the partial refund yesterday as i figured best to get something back rather than nothing, although i did also log a dispute with paypal.

Annoyingly with too-ing and fro-ing the time i could claim via ebay or paypal has expired. I might ring them and see if they can do anything. Credit card company might be worth a try actually.

It's more annoying than anything. If someone is going to run an online business they have to accept the selling rules whether they like it or not. They seem to think if they put a line saying they won't return the postage it makes them exempt from the law.

oh well could be worse.

thanks all