3 replies to this topic

#1 mcramsay

mcramsay

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 1,727 posts
  • Car type:zero

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

So after 500 miles in the marlin the temperature when running is still erratic it seems to be after the car has warmed up and left for a while on the second run the temps start rising well over what they should. As the weather is rubbish I have brought toward my winter mods so this weekend will see a new Davies craig ep150 ( which is rated for 6 litre v8s) with digital controller fitted. This requires the oem thermostat to be left out of the system and the impeller on the mech water pump to be removed, luckily I have a spare pump which I have removed the impeller from.

The digital controller becomes the new thermostat and controls the pump and rad fan to achieve the set temperature.

I am also going to fit the stock m3 header tank which will fit higher up in the engine bay and hopefully higher than the top of the radiator. However this has a 2 bar cap fitted which I think is a bit extreme on a plastic tank.

Anyway the Davis craig pump is a bit of a punt but they seem to be fairly well rated on the net and help with slow speed cooling when there is little ram air which is the issue I have.

#2 RichardL

RichardL

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,617 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero GT

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Interested in experience with this - install, results etc.

GBS Zero GT, Zetec 2.0
Build: May 2012 - June 2013 Links: Build Blog, YouTube Channel

Posted Image

#3 steamer

steamer

Chairman

• Committee
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car type:robin hood exmo - 270bhp, 303ft-lbs, 3.9 rv8

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have the alloy Davies Craig ep115 and the controller installed on my v8.

Absolute fantastic peice of kit and never had any overheating problems.

A couple of tips;
1) make sure the orientation of the pump is correct as failure to do so will result in air pockets accumulating in the pump resulting in decreased flow rates.

2) consider the extra 10amp+ loading on your alternator. For me, my alternator (at night time) is close to it's limits when the EWP + fan + headlights + fuel pump + everything else are all kicked in.
IMG_0955.jpg

#4 mcramsay

mcramsay

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 1,727 posts
  • Car type:zero

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

Cheers for the tips, looking online the Davis craig set up looks to be highly rated however there are a few that say it's useless when you are ragging the car on a track ... something I don't plan on doing, maybe once too see what I think!
I would just like to be able to drive the car without looking at the trip gauge all the time, I am hoping the controller works better than the kenlowe set up I am currently using which has the sensor you push in between the rad fins.. it doesn't work too well!

I have a 70A alternator fitted so it should supply plenty of power, hopefully!

Thanks for the tips!