Zetec Spark Plug Gap

Longboarder

i put everything to 0.8 if i dont know for sure ;) as a lot of engines seem to use that. As you know they generally get wider over time anyhow so it cant be too much of an issue i always think too slightly too small is better than too big as it will open up. Although i did remember it being wide on the zetec orion my sister had i think i set that at 1mm as the above thread suggests. good luck

Quite a lively and short tempered thread on the link Barry.

Nigel

Crikey yes it is, and all over plug gaps. What is the world coming to?

I use that Forum quite a lot as we have a Mondy estate as the family hack and its usually quite good tempered and useful.

BTW my plug gaps are set at 1.3 mm so will whip them all out and change them to 1mm at the weekend.

Guest salty_monk

:lol: I've never had that much issue with a plug gap... I usually gap to about 0.8 or whatever the manual tells me. 1mm - 1.3mm, I don't see it making too much difference with a HEI. I can see why 1mm might be easier on some of the components though.

Dan :)

the only thing that confused me on the other forum was the talk of "pre-gapped" spark plugs. I didnt even know these existed... surely if you are changing plugs yourself it is not beyond belief to gap them yourself. i wouldnt trust that they came out of the box perfectly. Would only take someone to drop one when packing. oh well each to his own i guess... :rolleyes:

Guest chris brown
the only thing that confused me on the other forum was the talk of "pre-gapped" spark plugs. I didnt even know these existed... surely if you are changing plugs yourself it is not beyond belief to gap them yourself. i wouldnt trust that they came out of the box perfectly. Would only take someone to drop one when packing. oh well each to his own i guess... :rolleyes:

Lots come pre-gapped which maybe as well as I haven’t seen a mechanic gap plugs prior to fitting for years (me included)