Chassis Number

Guest rcarsv

Guest rcarsv

Hi I am not sure where to put this question so I though this might be the best place dose anbody know how I go about getting a chassis number befor the car is completed as I would Like to paint it after stamping tne number on I have no number supplied by rh as it's first supplied in 97 any help would be appreciated thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to my local DVLA (Shrewsbury) yesterday about this one and they are happy for me to make up my own chassis no. There were a number of conditions:

1. There should be 17 characters

2. There should be a mix of letters and numbers

3. It was ok to included a word, or name (but nothing offensive!)

4. You can't use Z, Q, I, or O

I had to tell them the number I made up so they could check that it wasn't already in use. I incoporated the Robin Hood invoice number. The number then needs to be stamped on a chassis member, but stainless is rock hard!

Hope this helps - however knowing the inconsistencies of the DVLA I would check that this is ok with your local station first.

Most of us have made up our own chassi number,

mine is

RH2b****MCG122001

which = Robinhood2b, invoice number,my initials, month and year kit was collected, and is 17 characters long

others have used date completed,

and if you stamp it on the flat plate where the headlamps are fitted, (under where the bonnet will cover) its a lot easier and neater than tring to get a good impressions from the stamps on round tube

HTH

Mitch

Guest roverT

I also spoke to my local DVLA (Nottingham) who provided me with the chassis number. They are not keen on own grown numbers so discourage the practice. They also sent me the form to get the chassis number verified by an MOT/SVA tester which saved any problem at car registration.

However as ‘enforcer’ says check with your local DVLA and SVA test centre as rules and verification seem to very depending on local flavour.

Guest chris brown
rules and verification seem to very depending on local flavour.
It’s worse than that. At Peterbough I was told by one chap that what I had done (made up my own VIN) wasn’t allowed but as the car had been SVA'd using the number he would allow it "this time". 5 minuets later in the yard with another chap who was checking the engine number etc. When he said "I see you have made up your own VIN well done it makes it easier for me with the paperwork" So to my thinking if you want to make up your own then do so as it is not so easy for the local office to change it and in any case DVLA have already checked it when you apply for SVA.

Guest Battery Bill

We got our number after our first visit to Lincoln DVLA "Years" before SVA, They did not want us to make up our own and supplied us with theirs :rolleyes:

Another case of one part of DVLA being totally different from another :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Guest Ian & Carole

Just goes to show how stupid the whole thing is, I made up my own VIN Number 17 digits, using the Robin Hood invoice number as part of it and at LINCOLN where Bill took Joeys car, they were quite happy that I had made my own.

It really is a case of making a B) 'phone call and doing what they want you to do!!!!

Guest peter2b2002

I had to take my2b to

northampton dvla on a trailor for it's build up check and they issued me a number at the same time using one of theres so as keep every thing in order

Pete2b

Guest Petemate

richard - come and have a look at my chassis number stamping, borrow my stamp set, and away you go. Even on the round SS tubing, it's easy. I'm at home all this Wed; then you can call me to arrange a time if that is not convenient. You have a PM.

Pete

Guest Phil Slater
Just goes to show how stupid the whole thing is

It really is a case of making a cool.gif 'phone call and doing what they want you to do!!!!

I agree. The problem is when you make the phone call you can't talk to your local office only teh national number. And when I rang that - twice as it happens" :angry: trying to find out what I need to do to get a built up Vehical Inspection. I got two different suggestions only one of which was right.

It's pathetic :gdit: and outrageous a government department following set guidelines and regulations such as the SVA manual can make such a piogs ear of it :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: