Chassis Number

Guest rcarsv

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hcgrant

The DVLA office in Luton say I need to get the car inspected before they will give me a VIN. But they say I can drive to the inspection (before the SVA!) because its part of the registration process. Super!! I get to drive it legally before the SVA .. sort of a shakedown cruse! I've suggested to them the VIN number I want RHS2B188320065662 ....RHS<model number><customer ref number><year of manufacture><kit invoice number> .. let's see if they agree to it.

:rolleyes:

hugh

i think you may have a few insurance issues to deal with there, you either need a chassis or reg no. to get your car insured so you'll probably have to trailer it to the dvla or get them to come to you.

when i was at the sva stage i went to dvla in manchester for a chassis no. and came out 2 hours later none the wiser.

seemed i had to go round in circles til i disappeared up my own backside- can't have a chassis no. without sva, can't do sva without chassis no., can't insure without chassis no. and round and round and round!

in the end i just made one up using the usual rhs************** method, got the insurance, had the sva, then the built up inspection - just thought sod it if they don't like the number i made up i can always grind it off and stamp the one they give me.

some times you just have to give things a push to get the ball rolling or the bureaucrats will leave you sat there fuming for ever.

steve

i have used paul jepson to do all my paperwork for sva / registration. For £35.00 he will complete all the forms deal with build up inspection sort out chasis number license car and get registration number. (and sort out DVLA if any problems).

awaiting sva confirmed date but for £35 worth while using him you dont even need to visit DVLA to sort out registration.

Whilst DVLA will issue you a chasis number paul asked me to make one up as long as its 17 charecters its ok as most people have done used combination of date of purchase initials birth dates. Chances are that anything you can dream of will be unique.

sva inspector can then confirm chasis number matches form when performing test.

Phil

Guest Phil Slater

Had my Built up Vehicle Inspection today. It went very smoothly. :D

Nice young chap came to do the checkin. He was very positve about the SVA testers at Exeter said he knew them both and they were helpful and fair. He said I will get my VIN in the next few days. Hopefully just the tracking and CO2 emissions to sort befroe applying for the SVA. :huh:

Guest Alan_builder

B)

Hi all,

I spoke to Richard (Robin Hood) and requested the chassis number for my 2B/04.

Richard told me to use the invoice number followed by 13 digits.

His reason for this was when the police come knocking after finding a Robin Hood upside down in the ditch, he can quickly identify the builder.

SVA

Don't panic the forms are simple to fill in. Elwe or I will help with any questions.

We didn't have a make up inspection!

8 weeks after requesting one and our SVA being put back 4 weeks due to staff training we went for SVA. 2 weeks later we passed. The DVLA said they would have SVA do the make up inspection but forgot to ask them.

When I went into the DVLA with my MAK and money they said NO. The man was out. I spoke to the manager said words like their Charter and walked out with my tax disc and form for number plates.

You need special insurance for the drive to SVA

Guest Battery Bill

Hugh

I suggest you might not actually use the one you have shown on your post, might be some dodgy people reading it :wub: :wub:

Don't panic the forms are simple to fill in

Yes we have them pictured on our website :D :D

Guest peter2b2002

Hi @ northampton i took mine on a trailor as i could not get insurance without a chassis No, they were very good had a build up check done and a chassis No given to me within 1/2 hr, with the chassis No i could then get insurance to get to the sva test.

pete2b

Guest hcgrant

Bill .. you've worried me now!!

I rang Adrian Flux and Kit Car Insurance and they said they would insure me on the engine number. Graham-Sykes could only issue insurace with a VIN. So I'm now waiting for Luton to give me an inspection place and time.

Hugh

Guest Alan_builder
:wacko: Whats so special about insurance that is issued against the VIN??? :wacko:  :wacko:

:D

After SVA you register the car and have a registration number. The insurance is then for road use as in any production car.

Prior to SVA you have an engine number and an invoice number. As I said in my original post you make your chassis number (Vin) up from the invoice numver + 13 other characters, RH supplied information.

You can get build insurance using any of the above numbers.

To go to SVA you need insurance to drive on the road. You can get insurance for a day using the Vin number, may be some of the other number systems above.

You need the registration number to get normal road insurance, short term you can get a cover note but fail to provide the registration prior to the end of the cover note and you loose all the premium.

The car manufacturer should issue the Vin number, DVLA will do it for cut and shut motors and others if asked.

So in short what is special is; the term of the insurance, the risk (un vetted workmanship), documented suitability to use the road(see Battry Bills report on his second car).

Guest Battery Bill
Prior to SVA you have an engine number and an invoice number. As I said in my original post you make your chassis number (Vin) up from the invoice numver + 13 other characters, RH supplied information.

Not true in our case, we had a Vin number from DVLA Lincoln before Joeys car was anywhere near the road. We also had "Full" insurance via Roadsure long before we SVA'd, Full insurance was not much more than Build up insurance and it came in handy for a couple of pre SVA drives ie to get the "DVLA Lincoln" issued VIN number checked by a local garage.

It also came in handy when we needed a brake test between our two SVA's

Like I said before, all builds are different, unlike peter2b2002 we drove Joeys car to the "Build up inspection" totally legal because it was booked in at DVLA Lincoln.

You can.

However we had full insurance done on the chassis number as Bill is suggesting. Someone at Adrian Flux offered us SVA insurance at £25 a day but in the end we got full insurance and saved £50. Well almost, our insurance will expire 2 week earlier than had we paid the £50.

Guest chris brown
you make your chassis number (Vin) up from the invoice numver + 13 other characters, RH supplied information.
Not strictly all that DVLA require is a 17 digit number made up of a alpha numeric mix that is not registered to any other vehicle. i.e. mine is RH2BCBROWN2003103 and has nout to do with Robin Hood

You can get insurance for a day using the Vin number,
Not true either I had mine at no extra cost for a month with the only proviso that I tell them when I got the registration. I believe Bill had his for even longer. Some allow you to drive to SVA on your build up insurance but you must tell those dates.