Seatbelt Fixings

Guest macca

Hi All

Two questions:

1 I have a pair of RH supplied 4 point Sabelt harness's. What size are the bolts that are included with them? I need to get 4 nuts from somewhere for the lower mounts.

2 I need longer bolts for the upper mounts and picked up some M10 8.8 100mm long. These do a lovely job but will they pass the SVA?

Cheers

Macca

Macca,

I've heard that although M12 is the metric equivalent of 7/16 UNF, it is slightly bigger O.D. than 7/16, and you will have to drill out the welded on tubes for them to fit. You could always try an M12 on yours if you have any handy before you go shopping. I'm pretty sure SVA manual calls up 7/16 or equivalent for harnesses.

Cheers, Brian

Guest Battery Bill

Brian

I'm pretty sure SVA manual calls up 7/16 or equivalent for harnesses

Your right :D :D And take note of the "equivalent" in this statement, They do not "Have" to be 7/16th, M12 Bolts and Nylock's will do very nicely :D :D

I thought the SVA manual said 7/16ths, M11 or greater. I could be wrong though. 7/16ths is 11.1mm so it does sound reasonsable.

We used 7/16ths. They were a bit on the hard side to find but they fit nicely. 7/16ths nylocks were eaven harder to find but we did in the end.

Has anyone done this - doesn't look like there would be enough metal left???

I agree, the M10's are a good fit, I wouldn't like to take too much off ;)

Where can we get 7/16th bolts from?

I've never heard of an M11 thread. You could probably cut one yourself, but IMHO you'd be mad.

I think that when the SVA manual calls up 7/16UNF or equivalent, it's not just the dimensions that are important. The bolt should be high tensile, 8.8 or equivalent (this is marked with a letter on UNFs), so it is the combination of size and grade to do the job.

I got UNFs no problem from my local engineers merchants (Brabbin and Rudd, Wigan and Bolton). If you are really struggling, let me know and I will try to sort you out with some.

Cheers, Brian

Guest peter2b2002

Hi, my after market seat belts came with m10 bolts with nylocks ,passed sva no prob, make shure that you weld the nuts onto the bottom of the tubes for the top mounts as i had to show how to remove and refit the bolts , if you cant easly get to the nuts underneath you might fail, the bottom bolts and fittings came with the belt kit with the nuts already welded on to the brackets.

good luck Pete2b

baj

have been in engineering for 40 years and have never heard of m11.

There is a two page list of screw threads sizes in the nov issue of jaguar enthusiast and there is no m11 listed there either.

Swan

I shall now bask in the glory of 'I told you so' :p

Just because nobody makes M11 doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As I said we used 7/16ths UNF because it was easier to get hold of. (while still quite difficult).