What Is Not Included

Guest Hog Head

Guest Hog Head

I am considering building a SS in Thailand and in spite of several questions to RHS, have still not recieved an answer regarding what is not included in the kit. One would think that this is a FAQ, and I am at a loss as to why the inability or perhaps unwillingness to answer my question.

This is a developing country and one cannot just pop down to the auto shop for essential bits that are not included in the kit, or have RHS rectify any short shipment. Sierras were never sold in Asia so finding bits is impossible.

I can only assume from comments from listees and others assume that this is not a Mecanno set, and it is by no means complete. I am OK with this, but need to know what is not there, so I can source accordingly.

What is the experience from the list on what is not included in the kit

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert

welcome to the club,

It depends on which SSpec you are getting, if you a buying the rover engined one then everything should be there.

If you are getting the normal kit then you will need alot more

doner bits

engine

gearbox

rear axle

steering column (inc stalks)

front hubs inc brakes.

sure one of the SSpec owners will reply and tell you what else is needed

HTH

Mitch

Mine was a Rover Engine and not all the bits were there to start with. :blink:

All the SS owners that I've spoken have been missing different bits... probably best if an 05 owner lists what else they had to get as I think from the email that Robert sent me this is the model he's thinking of getting (no engine/gearbox)

Will

the main things that were not included in the 05 kit we collected were

ENGINE

GEARBOX

PROPSHAFT

DASH GAUGES

COLUMN SWITCHES

RELAYS

BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

P CLIPS FOR FUEL AND BRAKE LINES

thats all i can think of at the moment..

if anything else springs to mind i will post again

hope this helps..

We collected a SS kit (not one of the part-built Rover-engined SuperSpecs) before Christmas and the only thing I'd add to the list would be exhaust manifold. We were rather surprised that although we'd been asked to confirm what engine we would be fitting that the triangular engine mounting plates were not pre-drilled although the pictures in the brochure of the 2b kit show holes pre-drilled (?)

Guest Hog Head

There are 3 main factors that determine the purchase of a SS kit less engine and box:

1. Duty tax, and other assorted fees total 300% so I will import the bare SS kit, so as not to triple the cost of the drivetrain. The penalty for more than 220 Hp is REALLY punitive, as is over 2500 cc.

2. Private importation of cars is essentially prohibited, however it seems that kit cars are allowed. Even so it will be far less grief if the engine and box are sourced locally - then it is just a bunch of parts.

3. Japanese engines are King here and support of a Rover or other Brit brand is impossible. I will likely use Toyota or better yet a Honda S-2000 if I can find one.

I was leaning toward a SS rather than a 2B as it seems more complete. Sierras were never manufactured in Asia so a donor is out.

RHS, finally advised today that all that is missing in a SS kit is the header, and propshaft. I remain sceptical as to the completeness of the kit and appreciate the feedback from listees to date. All comments would be appreciated.

Robert

I might suggest a Lightweight if you do not have a Sierra as donor. The 2B chassis design is predicated on use of the entire back end of the sierra (de-dion tube, diff, shafts & hubs) and I don't think you'd find it easy to fabricate an alternative. With the lightweight kit you get rear wishbones and a more easy adaptation to non-sierra donors as a result, because it's obviously not relying on the Sierra's rear end.