Lightweight Or 2b ...

Guest Big Hammer

Guest Big Hammer

After years of dreaming about building my own kit it looks as if i am finally going to do it, so i took a trip over to RHE to veiw and discuss what was needed only to come home with one question left...Lightweight or 2b. All the members web sites i have visited are for the 2b kit, can anyone give me any advice or perhaps someone knows of a web site for a Lightweight build. Thanks in advance..Big Hammer.

A number of things nead to be thought about then;

If you want an out & out track car, then not the 2B, it's too heavy, OK for our odd track days obviously.

If you want to go camping, or be able to pull a trailer etc then not the lightweight. the 2B is then the one to go for.

If you are of the "Economy" version of person, again the 2B will suite best. "Twiggy" types will fit easily into the Lightweight.

The other couple of things to consider, is that the Lightweight is made from Ally, this has it's own particular problems with corrosion that you need to be aware of, RHSC's monocoque stainless cars are prone to cracking around stressed area's (I know this very well!) as yet the Lightweight is an unproven model, there are none on the road (except RHSC's, and they're on trade plates, not been SVA'd as I know)

I once asked Richard Stewart about the Lightweight (initially it was an engineering cock-up) and the answer he gave me was "It's a track car, designed to do one season only" since then it's far to say that the glareing faults the initial design had, have been attended to, but our members who are now building these cars will be the "research & development" test pilots.

I'm not trying to put you off the lightweight, just pointing out the pros & cons, and it's history.

Guest chris brown

As Jim says if you are going to use the car for touring and just the occasional track day then the 2B is the one to go for IMHO. But beware it is NOT an easy build and does leave you to decide (design) around problems which there are many. That is why you will never see 2 the same it is also why they are such a fantastic car.

By the way Jim fill in your profile there may be a member just down the road who you can go and have a chat with or more likely he will come round to you and drink all your coffee and eat all your biscuits (most hoodies prefer Hob Nobs). :p :p

By the way Jim fill in your profile there may be a member just down the road who you can go and have a chat with or more likely he will come round to you and drink all your coffee and eat all your biscuits (most hoodies prefer Hob Nobs). 

How much of my profile do you want you old ba.....d! it shows where I am, and that's enough!!!! ;)

Guest chris brown
How much of my profile do you want you old ba.....d! it shows where I am, and that's enough!!!!
Big Hammer (Jim Shaw) is who I was talking to not you. You grumpy old sod we all know where you live :lol: :lol: :wub:

Guest warwick7735

I'm currently building a lighweight which should be on the road in a few weeks. I've had it just over 2 weeks and it's already a rolling chassis with the engine and gearbox put in yesterday. There is quite alot of bending and rivetting to do. 600+ rivets later I'm glad I bought a pneumatic riveter which takes all the strain out. I have encountered some problems with the kit, mostly the DVD supplied doesn't match what you get. I prefered the look of the lightweight over the 2b because of the smaller size. The 2B just looks too big and out of place. It's seriously light, I could still lift the front of the car with all the wishbones, shocks, brakes & wheels on. I'm hoping for a completed weight of under 400kgs compared to the 2Bs 700kgs. At the end of the day follow your heart.

Just like to say Hi to everybody

Many thanks

Warwick

I'm currently building a lighweight which should be on the road in a few weeks. I've had it just over 2 weeks and it's already a rolling chassis with the engine and gearbox put in yesterday. There is quite alot of bending and rivetting to do. 600+ rivets later I'm glad I bought a pneumatic riveter which takes all the strain out. I have encountered some problems with the kit, mostly the DVD supplied doesn't match what you get. I prefered the look of the lightweight over the 2b because of the smaller size. The 2B just looks too big and out of place. It's seriously light, I could still lift the front of the car with all the wishbones, shocks, brakes & wheels on. I'm hoping for a completed weight of under 400kgs compared to the 2Bs 700kgs. At the end of the day follow your heart.

Just like to say Hi to everybody

Many thanks

Warwick

Hi Warwick, do you have pictures of your build to share?

Thanks

Steve

Guest warwick7735

Hi All

Anybody who wants pictures of what Ive done let me have your email address and I'll send them, don't know how to do it on here. It took me 31hrs to build the monocoque tub, then a futher 26 to get it to a rolling chassis. Waiting on RH now for the prop and custom made tank that I asked for.

Guest ScotMac

Yes, waiting for parts from RH will definitely slow him down. Warwick, if you really want them, get them to commit to a date, and then show up to pick them up on that date.

As for the pictures, just post them somewhere on the web, and let us know the URL. Or, send them to me (scotmac@gmail.com), and i'll post them on my website.

-sm