Megajolt

Guest MrSandman

Guest MrSandman

I have just ordered all the relevant bits today to install Megajolt.

Anyone on here got it fitted to a Pinto?

I have a base map sorted and will fine tune once fitted but it must be better than a standard dizzy as 3D mapping can take into account the throttle position. MAP won't work for me as I have bike carbs.

I am hoping for more power in the mid range but hopefully better economy as well. I would be interesting to hear the views of anyone who has it fitted and anything to be aware of while fitting.

ps I am buying the board already built as I am too lazy to chase around to get all the parts.

theres a guy on the locost site selling built up megajolts for £75 or £85 depending on if you want MAP or TPS.

he goes by the name PAULF

if you go on megajolt jr lite site there is a base map for an xe on there too.

Steve

Guest Stuart Ainslie
I am thinking of fitting Megajolt to my Vx XE 2L - wher did you get the kit from ?

Richard

Richard,

I've got a few 2.0 XE maps for Megajolt if you want them....

I have a MegaJolt that came with Pinto & Bike carbs it has MAP.

4 blue pipes 1 from each carb in to a manifold that splits one way to the servo and the other to the map sensor in the megajolt.

2.1, injection head, 285 cam rolling road said 128bhp 135 ft/lbs and that was on the standard map.

I think we could do with a map site like the ones found on the Megajolt/squirt sites for our use.

Guest MrSandman
I have a MegaJolt that came with Pinto & Bike carbs it has MAP.

I wasn't sure that linking each branch up would work as the common view is that each branch would suck from the others causing poor/inconsistent vacuum. I guess from your post that it works. I was also told that although MAP provides greater potential, TPS is more useful on engines with wilder cams. Have you done any tuning to the advance map or have you left as is.

theres a guy on the locost site selling built up megajolts for £75 or £85 depending on if you want MAP or TPS.

he goes by the name PAULF

Steve

Yes PaulF will build you a unit for a fee. Another option is Bill Shurvington who appears to be one of the original UK builders of the system. I think there will be a delay with both due to the requirement to source boards from overseas.

I think we could do with a map site like the ones found on the Megajolt/squirt sites for our use.

Good call. That was part of the reason behind my post. If enough people are fitting/considering then the information would be usefully shared.

Anyone interested can get a feel for the system and support forum at www.picasso.org.

I am currently fitting a MegaJolt to my pinto engined Series 3. So far I have mounted a trigger wheel on the back of the crankshaft pulley and made an adjustable bracket to mount the sensor. This arrangement will mean that the fan belt can be changed without moving the sensor.

I bought a circuit board and pre-programmed processor chip from Bill Shurvinton and will source the rest of the components elsewhere. The engine is currently out at the moment: head, gearbox and clutch change. Once the engine is back in I will be able to test the trigger wheel/sensor by just using the EDIS module (will run at fixed 10btc). Not sure when I shall complete the MegaJolt unit though, need to get the car back on the road first as spring is fast approaching.

post-6-1139522660.jpg

See it's working. Already Nigels trigger wheel is in a better location than mine ( have to take the alternator off to change belt) and the debate on MAP and TPS we can have solutions for either or both in our collective bank.

Guest yosamite sam

nigel how did you fasten the trigger wheel on - weld? where did you source it? you obviously made the brackets n stuff.. does the kit come with wiring or is that something you have to do? is the instructions user friendly? i think that would be a step for myself shortly probably during next winter

Hi Sam,

I bought the trigger wheel here on ebay. The 4.5" is the same diameter as the crank pulley.

I had a shoulder machined on the back of the pulley and then the hole in the trigger wheel enlarged to fit onto the shoulder. There is a 4mm gap between the pulley and trigger wheel. The trigger wheel can be rotated so that it can be aligned with the sensor correctly (sensor is 90 deg before missing tooth when the pulley TDC mark is at TDC). Once you are happy with the alignment then the trigger wheel is spot welded to the crank pulley.

The cambelt cover needs to be trimmed to make room for the trigger wheel.

I bought the sensor and EDIS module on ebay and they both came with the Ford plugs and a few inches of wire, these could always be sourced from a scrap yard. The wiring can be extended or the plugs taken apart and new wiring fitted.

All the instruction to make the kit and the software needed to load the maps can be downloaded from here.

post-6-1139690411.jpg

Guest yosamite sam

thanks for that - doesnt look too hard - you havent got it set up yet? or have you? what does it work like in comparison? i have heard a few people say its a world of difference.. what do poeple think it is like in comparison to throttle bodies?

No its not been tried yet. My engine is spread all over the garage at the moment - hope to get it back in soon though. I have not seen a MegaJot installation in the flesh yet, I have picked up lots of info on the web. In true hoodie tradition it was trial and error when devising a way to mount the trigger wheel and sensor, I just hope it works!

Guest yosamite sam

seems fine as long as the trigger wheel doesnt slip round while checking the set up.. be nice to know the full amount for everything it would cost.. be nice to hear back as to what happens as you go along.. keep us informed for this is a mod that any pinto car should have if its gonna work - out of the old and in with the next generation. i also think that the majority of pinto owners just havnt got the spare cash to swap to a newer engine and this is a step in helping to keep pace..