How Much Is It Worth?

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Hi All

I am seriously considering selling my Robin Hood Sub-K. However, it is not finished. I estimate that it is about 80% done if you take the SVA and registration into account.

It's a bit odd this one as I have made a lot of modifications to the car (aluminium panels, different rear end, different internal panels, clean dash, tie-bars, etc). Most bits to finish are included exept for the mirrors (bonnet also needs to painted to match car as it's stainless at the moment). I have put a lot of effort into this car and it will be a real nice one when it's finished.

Yes, I know it's worth more finished but a busy work schedule and imminent baby will mean delaying the build for longer than I am willing to wait. It's already taken me 4 years in which time it's taken 2nd place to moving house twice, building a garage, building a conservatory and fitting a kitchen.

The first two years of the build are at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/usowicz and several photos of the car as of today at http://www.flickr.com/photos/usowicz

If it's only worth £100 then I'll just keep it and finish sometime after the worlds supply of oil has run out! If it's worth £10,000 then I'll take cash or cheque!

NOTE:- This is not a for sale advert but just so that I can get a feel for whether I will sell it or not. If I decide to sell I will put it in the 'for sale' section of the board with full details.

Many Thanks

Paul S Usowicz

Always sad to see these posts :( looks a very nice build so far too, I love that dash!!

Keep an eye on this LINK I know its a 2B but will give you some idea, and I supose its a good time of year to sell

looks like youve spent alot of time on your build so far and that your time was well worth it!

youve built a tidy car

its worth £100!!!!!!! dont sell

keep it and sort it, i was so close to gettin rid last year but i'm happy i didnt...

dont sell unless you have no choice - you will be gutted in years to come

you will be gutted...

Guest crwoodford

Hi, For what my opinion may be worth as a SUB K Owner.. After several years of wanting to buy a Kit Car, I recently took the plunge and bought a ready built Sub K.

I had researched prices as best I could over several months to see what you could get for your money for un-built, part-built, and fully built, SVA'd etc. And I decided to go fully built + SVA'd.

The build quality of my SUB K impressed me, (as does your build photos).

I got it at what I thought was a very reasonable cost (PM for price) and that was for a fairly recent 2003 Build with a new battery and 'NEW' MOT (an essential document that at least shows the car was Roadworthy on that particular day!), and it was registered with the Doner Plate and is registered as a Robin Hood on the Reg Doc.

I have perceived that 'Real' Registrations are preferred over 'Q' Plates?

Bear in mind that SUB K is the label that tells Hoodie's that the basic kit cost less than £1000 (Hence SUB K), that's not to say that you have not paid a substantial amount more than that for all the bits and pieces. I know the builder of my SUB K paid shed loads more than £1K, as I have all the receipts!!

The main sticking point from a Non-Mechanic buyer's point of view is the SVA. Knowing only basic mechanics, I would not attempt a build let alone the SVA! But for a builder who is confident in Mechanics whether amateur or professional, an SVA is a necessary part of the build process.

I must say, I have nothing but top admiration for all Builders who get that SVA ticket... must be a very proud moment for them I'm sure.

IMHO, at the end of the day, you know what the build has cost you so far, and if you get it SVA'd you will get top price. If you try to sell it part built with no SVA, you can probably expect to get disappointly less for it.

Cheers

Col (Taunton)

Guest micky bigthumbs

Paul i think you need a visit from a few hoods ..take you for a drive around..to respark that desire to build...its a good looking car dont give up...Dgav try and arrange a visit

Mick

Paul, you should stick with it.

If not for the fun of building, but for the fact that as a part built kit it's worth peanuts, but fully built with SVA about £3-4k. If you sell now, you will loose alot of money. I nearly sold mine too, but decided I should get on with it and put it on the road. It doesn't get used much, but every time it does I thank God I kept it. There are a load of jobs still to be done (heater / demist / wash + wipers / roof / side mirrors / windscreen supports (fitted but are rusting!) / new gearbox / engine overhaul / etc, etc, etc) but so what? There's no rush. These carts cost very little to run once built. My insurance (I'm 40) fully comp was £120. So I reckon I can afford to use it rarely (as you will with babies in the house). Still, my oldest is five now and she loves going out in it. I haven't quite got to dropping her off at school in it (although I took our youngest to playschool in it a few times for a laugh) but then we only live 10mins walk from the school.

Anyway, I'm waffling. To summarise : stick with it no matter how long it takes. You will not regret it (and you'll get to take it to the Nurgberg with your mates one day).

Who's your area sec?

Paul, you should stick with it.

If not for the fun of building, but for the fact that as a part built kit it's worth peanuts

This is getting silly! ;) I agree whole-heartedly with what Jon says! (again!!)

Keep it, finish it in your own time, your kids will LOVE it in a couple of years. it's eating nothing, just spray anything that could go rusty (headlights, etc. even the panels) with WD40 to stop them going rusty.

Make a list of the jobs that need to be done BEFORE SVA, pin it up on the wall, and as you do each job, cross it out, that way you see that there's a light at the end of the tunnel as the list gets smaller.

Prices at the moment are over £1000 less than they should be, you'd make a big loss if you sold it on.

There is a part built one on eBay right now. It has a V6 engine (well it looks like one) from a Sierra Xr4i and it's got no bids (starts at £1500). You can draw your own conclusions from that!

V6 Hood Project

Do bear in mind that Hoods with special engines command a premium, and yours only has a 1.8L Pinto (souped up, I know).

Guest jetskijase

Mick, Dunc, he's only in droiwich spa!!! I feel a runout coming up to convince paul to finish it!! :p :p :D :D

Although not this week as my bonnets off :wacko: to do a few nigggling jobs like melted clutch cable! <_<

Jase

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Guys

Thanks for all of your input. You have certainly given me plenty to think about. I never rush decisions like this so will give myself another week or two before making any decisions.

Every friend and relative I speak to has a different opinion and I have changed my mind about 10 times this weekend! I think I need to find a nice quite spot (perhaps the garage?), sit down with a nice cool beer and mull the decision over.

Thanks

Paul S Usowicz