Petrol Resistant Sealer

Guest crwoodford

It's just an early morning thought (luckily all thinking will stop soon) but what about oil filter seals, one of the right diameter could go over the Ford tank seal in to the recess that is to wide and help to fill the gap. :huh:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crwoodford

Dear all, on the premise that any information is good information that can be used or discarded... I asked the top experts at Loctite who advised me as follows as to what to slap around the filler hose/tank grommet joint:

"You could use a Polyurethane or a Modified Silane to do this. In the Automotive Aftermarket you can get 1K PUR (Terostat 9100) and Terostat 9220. I would try one of these. You can get these through places like Brown Brothers, Unipart and other top Automotive suppliers" :ph34r:

Sounds like rocket science stuff to me :o ... Anyway, I will try a new Sierra Tank rubber seal as already kindly suggested, who knows... hopefully I may not need any additional 'stuff' to slap around it? :wacko:

Guest crwoodford

Brian,

Fuel filler seal Part No. 1492183, fuel level sender seal Part No. 6085380

Thanks for the part numbers. I have now ordered mine from my local Ford Factors, so looks like I now have something useful to do Saturday afternoon!! :D

As long as the original builder has not increased the diameter of the hole in the top of the tank all should be well :unsure:

You could use a Polyurethane or a Modified Silane to do this. In the Automotive Aftermarket you can get 1K PUR (Terostat 9100) and Terostat 9220. I would try one of these. You can get these through places like Brown Brothers, Unipart and other top Automotive suppliers

What about Car Builder Solutions polyurethane adhesive/sealant at 8.81gbp, i love the stuff.

Guest hcgrant

I've used Locktite 5222 sealer adhesive from RS compontents. It usefull all over the car. A quote from the RS website ( rswww.com ) ->

"A single part polyurethane adhesive sealant for use in manufacture and repair to bond and/or seal a wide variety of substrates, including metals, glass, plastics, wood etc.

* Paintable

* Flexible, elongation >500%

* Resistant to water, diluted acids and mineral oils

* Tack free 50 minutes

* Can be used with or without primers, for primers

* For primers see Loctite 7251, 7252, 7253 "

Guest crwoodford

At last.. I have fitted a new Sierra Rubber seal as suggested. Thankfully the original builder had not tampered with the hole in the SS Fuel tank and the new rubber seal fits quite snuggly, and with the filler pipe gently eased into the hole, I really dont think there will be any need for sealer, although I think I will put a smear of Blue Hylomar on the surfaces when doing the final fit.

To my horror... :o my suspicions were correct... a makeshift grommet had been made up from the grey plastic edger used to cover the sharp edges of the body work. This together with a generous helping of a thick rubberised? sealer was all that was used as the fuel filler hose/tank joint. I can only guess the SVA 'staffen' could not access the area for close examination?

I now have a secondary problem... Does anyone else think the RH Aluminium Petrol locking cap is a bit Heath Robinson? The only way to ensure it locks is to locate a self tapping 'Screw' into the side of the filler tube Spigot at the correct location? This looks awful when you open the petrol cap!

And you also need what amounts to bodywork or possibly a spacer over 1/2 inch thick so the allen bolt facia sits flush with the bodywork? I may be missing something? but I cant see any other way of mounting it? Can somone advise please, a photo or two would help as describing it sounds like a nightmare?

BTW, I have checked the SubK Video once again, and the advice on mounting the Locking Filler Cap appears to be a little scant apart from locating the self tapper to allow the lock mecahism to work?

Thanks in advance

Col (Taunton)

Guest chris brown
Does anyone else think the RH Aluminium Petrol locking cap is a bit Heath Robinson?
Not only is it Heath Robinson but I like allot of others never did get it to seal correctly if adjusted to seal around the top (catch) half then it would leak out from around the hinge area and visa versa. I also found the thing an absolute pain to fill having had pumps time out before I have filled up (30 ltr tank). I finally gave up and changed it for an Aston type.