Brakes

Guest wildejon

Guest wildejon

Any thoguhts on the best method of piping from the brake servo to the expansion bottle? I've been using Will's site to pretty much build the whole car, and the RH videos of course ;) but I was just wondering what people have found to be the best method?

Are these pipes under any pressure at all as they just rest in the servo yeah?!

Hi John

Is this for a super spec? If so, I think you mean the link between the master cylinder and remote reservoir.

RH provide some plastic tubing for this - which I believe is not suitable! The material has to be of a certain grade.

I've seen that other builders have used copper pipe and put in bends / re-sizers etc to make this link.

I'm at this stage too, but thinking about using a suitable rubber hose such as...

http://www.thinkauto.com/

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/Price_Li..._hoses_107.html

.... as this looks easier to do.

The master cylinder effictively sucks the brake fluid through these pipes, so there isn't much pressure in them at all (ie very slight vacuum?).

Hope this helps?

Let us know how you get on, and what solution you go for...

Harvs.

Guest wildejon

Ok, sorry. I'm not too hot on what to call everything... I do mean the brake servo and remote reservoir...

Tubing does appear to be much simpler than making up copper pipes...

The tube on that site looks pretty sensible to me.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest wildejon

I had a mate come over to help with my car a few weeks ago, said the reservoir can just plug directly into the master cylinder... looks like it will be fit after an hour of trying it hasn't yet, I'm determined it will do!!!

Not bought any tubing yet, cheapskate!

Guest timswait

I think you mean to connect the reservoir to the master cylinder. If it's a Sierra mater cylinder, the reservoir should be a push fit on. Don't know whether you have to be able to easily see the level for SVA, there's an electrical level sensor anyway. If you need pipes to connect it then Rally design will probaly do them. There is no pressure in this side of the system, it's just to keep the master cylinder topped up.

Guest gavinc

we had a friend turn up some ally adapters for the master cylinder

this gave us the ability to use bolt in banjo fittings from burtons..

DSCF0004-1.jpg

we then used flexible braided brake hose to the scuttle

copper pipe through the scuttle and then braided pipe the other side

to connect upto the reservoir we got from car builder solutions

DSCF0007-1.jpg

kit6.jpg

Guest wildejon

That certainly seems easy enough. What size pipe do you need to slot into the master cylinder?

This was our original problem, really hard to tell what size we need.

Thanks for all your comments!

That certainly seems easy enough. What size pipe do you need to slot into the master cylinder?

This was our original problem, really hard to tell what size we need.

Thanks for all your comments!

Hi,

I'm just doing this job on my 04 SuperSpec.

10mm (internal), 12mm (outer) diameter heating pipe fits. I found about 5 inches of the stuff in my kit but since I bought it 2nd hand it might have been added by the previous owner.

I've invented my own solution involving 8mm microbore pipe and lots of adaptors. The piping is cheap but the adaptors to match the pipes at each end and get round a tight bend are ridiculously expensive (I hope someone from B&Q is reading this!). If it all works I plan to polish the pipes so it looks like something off a traction engine :D .

Hope this helps,

John (jwts).

• 1 year later...
Guest nevans
Yep, it should fit directly. But I think that for the SVA, you need to be able to visibly inspect the fluid levels - a bit tricky if it's tucked inside the scuttle!

Here's what I did....

post-662-1205157932_thumb.jpg

hi, can you help I have obtained the blue hose but it wont stretch to fit on fluid res or copper pipe into master cylinder

how did you manage to do it

cheers nigel

Guest nevans
Yep, it should fit directly. But I think that for the SVA, you need to be able to visibly inspect the fluid levels - a bit tricky if it's tucked inside the scuttle!

Here's what I did....

post-662-1205157932_thumb.jpg

hi, can you help I have obtained the blue hose but it wont stretch to fit on fluid res or copper pipe into master cylinder

cheers nigel

cheers nigel

Hi Nigel

I stuck them in a boiling kettle for a little time to soften it up first.

Just noticed you're in barnsley - I was born there!