Mondeo 2.5 Throttle Sticking

Hi guys

First of all I apologies if this is in the wrong section, wasn’t RH related so thought it best to put in here.

Ok I have a 2.5 V6 Mondeo and coming back from work tonight it started revving uncontrollably. It happened once, once before but now more seriously

Basically as soon as you put your foot on the pedal it revs to about 6K and wont really settle, comes to about 3K after about 1 min.

The throttle pedal has a lot of play in it and cannot be forced up to stop the revving.

If you go to the engine you can manually push the throttle linkage back so it rest at the normal 1K. If you rev in engine bay it is fine, does not stick or anything!!!

I believe the cable goes through the traction control unit so as something appears to be sticking, could it be something in here??? Although turn the TC off and it does not cure the problem

Any ideas???

Must say the 30 mile drive home was quite fun on the M1, but queues were a problem!!!

Thanks

Simon

Guest Battery Bill

Simon

Mine seems to have a similar problem, sometimes when I change gear it stays reved up and there is no noticeable dip in the revs when you put your foot on the clutch :wacko:

No idea what it is though, worse still mine had now got a bit of a stutter at 2000 ish revs :boohoo: :boohoo:

Goes away when you rev it though :lol: :lol:

is it cable operated or "fly by wire" ??

If its fly by wire there is a reset process, with BMW's i think you sit there with ign on and drivers door open for 2mins, then everything goes back to original setting, dont know if this applys to Mondeos but maybe worth a go.

MItch

Guest dennissue

Hi, I used to work at a Ford main dealer and this fault is quite common. Depending on the age of the vehicle. In most cases it is the throttle position sensor at fault. It can be checked by connecting a voltmeter between pin 2 and pin 3 on the multiplug with it still connected. With the throttle closed you should get around 0.9 volts, with the throttle fully open you should get around 4.5 volts, this should change very smoothly. If any of these are out you will need to replace the sensor.

Hope this is of help.

Ta, Dennis

Hi, thanks for the responses

It is a cable throttle

Dennis - will try checking the sensor as it does seem electrical, as when you tap the throttle, normally taking it to 2K revs, its rises to about 6K which would be impossible if mechanical.

Also someone mentioned it could be traction control unit sticking, suggested taking off the front and spraying with WD40.....or replacing. Any thoughts??

Will try both as nothing to lose, Dennis dont suppose you know where the sensor is..........sorry no manual to consult

Thanks

Guest dennissue

Hi, If you find the end of the throttle cable that fits to the engine side, the sensor is a black plastic bit that is on the other end of the spindle. This is normaly at the rear between the bulkhead and the engine. Another check is to drive the car and when the fault happens, drop it out of gear and slow down to a stop in neutral. The engine rev's should drop to idle just before the car comes to a halt.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Ta, Dennis.

Guest dennissue

Hi, I should have said that the sensor can also be on the right hand side as you look at the engine. However it will be on the end of the shaft that the cable fits to.

Ta, Dennis.

Guest Battery Bill

Mickey

Mine does the same as bills

What the stutter, or the revs bit? <_<

I think it might be fuel filter related so I will take a look at that this weekend.

It could also be something electrical because this car has the worst wiring ever, when I was getting the head gasket changed I had to remake the engine loom because all, and I mean All the wires had bad delamination of the insulation :blink: :blink: There is still some dodgy looking ones elsewhere in the engine bay that need sorting out "One Day" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyone else with this engine got dodgy wiring? or am I just Lucky that way :lol: :lol: