Head Gasket?

Guest robbie

Guest robbie

Just when it couldn't get any worse (see post on sump removal) I have found water dripping from trumpet of dellorto carbs. Definetly not petrol and I haven't done a steam conversion!

I had over heating problems (still do) and intermitant misfire at exhaust with some spitting at carbs. Is there a possiblity that there is a port on the inlet manifold of the injection system that is a water way? (well explained!) I see an outlet on the old injection system that looks a bit rusty (water!) When I put the twin 40s on I seen a rectangular "void" but I just gasketed the four inlets. Is this part of the cooling system, if so what function had it on the old inlet and what should I do with regard to the dellortos? Soooo many questions.

I'm off for more coffee and to listen to some calming whale noises or something.

Regards

Robbie (overheated)

Robbie,

Theres a water pipe that feeds from the top of the water pump. It goes into the heater (if fitted) then into the carb autochoke(if fitted) then back into the manifold, and into the head via a rectangular port smack bang in the centre of the head between the 4 inlet ports.

If youve blocked off the water pump thermostat bypass & the rectangular hole

into the head, that will account for it overheating, & if your port gaskets are faulty, then it will let the water back out of the trumpets.

My Weber manifold has a short tube screwed into the flange, where the pipe goes.

Take a look at some of the engine build pictures for more details.

HTH Bob

There is a hole into the cyl head water jacket between inlets two and three which feeds water to the manifold to heat it, operate the autochoke on older carb models and then on to the heater in the car, returning to the water pump via a hose on the offside of the engine. This circuit should be kept as it is the only circulation of coolant when the thermostat is closed and still operates when the stat is open. Without it you will overheat. Your manifold should have a take-off for a hose between two and three or a blank for you to drill and tap a hole. Even if you don't use a heater you must retain a basic circuit out through this hole back to the pump. And do not fit a tap in the heater circuit if you run a pinto.

(Busy answering the phone while Bob has made the same post)

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest robbie

thanks guys, you are spot on as usual!

The gasket went on port 3 through which water flowed and there is a grub screw on manifold as you suggested. Where exactly does this go? There are 2 hoses off water pump, 1 large bore 1 small and the small one is currently blanked off!

Is this the missing link?

Thanks again

Regards

Robbie

Yup, that small connection on the pump body is the return from the heater. If you have no heater then a pipe should lead from the inlet manifold direct to here. Shown well on Haynes manual chapter 3, page 6 fig 9.8 just above the spanner head.

Nigel