First Job

Guest Martin

Guest Martin

Hi There

Help !!

I have just purchased a 2B kit...I don't know where to start. Can any body tell me what is the first Job i need to do.....please.

Martin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry

I agree with Will Re' location and joining club :)

I started by fitting front wishbones ( it's a 2B+ )

Then fitted floor followed by rear suspension - then you can roll it about.

post-3-1143474505.jpg

Guest crwoodford

Did you get the build video's? :huh:

It's imperitive you watch the videos at least once and the good bits at least twice! :rolleyes:

Doing this will make you laugh and be happy! :D

It's important to be happy at all times! :D :lol:

You will be lost without a sense of humour :(

Regards

Col (Taunton)

Oh.. and if possible fit a shortened sump :boohoo:

Guest Alan_builder

The place to start is stripping the donor!

Clean and paint / surface treat the parts you intend to use.

Watch the video again.

look through the web sites of builders

Start your build.

Ask your questions.

Have lots of fun.

PS Fit the bits which hold the wheels in place, then U can wheel your cart arround.

I :wub: my RH

Guest salty_monk

Personally I would say don't fit the wishbones until you are ready to fit the infill panels but it depends if you need to roll it around I guess...

:D

Surely you can't fit the engine until its a rolling chassis because of sump clearance?

We fitted the infil pannels almost last, but then on a 2B/4 you don't have to take the front suspension apart to fit them.

Guest chris brown

As ECAM says

Dress (smooth off) all the welds
then fit the floor (chassis upside-down) using a good polythene sealer not the silicone stuf you get with the kit (only good for bathtub sealing) and lots of rivets once again not the ones in the kit. If you have stainless chassis and panels use stainless rivets throughout. Don’t role the edge of the floor round the chassis tubes as the side panels pick up on the floor towards the rear. and as others have said watch the videos more than once at this stage I also fitted the rear suspension tube. At this stage you can turn the chassis over and temporary fit the front suspension as you will have to remove it again later.

Would there not be some value to having a 'New Builders' forum or a button on the front page where we could log a series of threads giving this sort of advice? There have been several threads recently along this line.

A new user of the community is unlikely to be familiar enough with the site to go through the search engine first, which would reveal all the information received.

How about a 'New members/builders' click here or something?

Guest salty_monk

Hmmm & how many of them would do so... :D

Most would still probably post their questions anyway... It's no big deal in my opinion, makes new peops feel involved rather than just reading off a page. :)

I found that it made us newbies read all around the topic and look for possible future issues - I like the way it is set up, but then I only just arrived.

As for 1st job - check everything, watch the DVD / vids and then clean up the chassis, sit back and plan out the next couple of moves as most jobs impact on others. The general procedure as per the 2B dvd's give the best hints as what to do for the 1st few weeks.

All I say is do not let the enthusiasm slip......... B)

Guest Cantbearsed

I'll agree with the read everything approach. I've had my 2B plus kit since Sept '02 and it's still only ballanced over the rear axle!

I'm not doing anything more substantial until :

a. I have the time

b. I have all the info, and

c. I have all the parts i want for my options.

No point rushing into these thingsand as i work for one of the foremost after-market car parts suppliers in the UK, I can get pretty much anything brand new, including steel sump pans! Almost ideal......

Guest chris brown
I've had my 2B plus kit since Sept '02 and it's still only ballanced over the rear axle!
I take it you are going for the longest hood build? Sorry but if it is taking that long then there is a better than evens chance that it will become one of the 70%. IMHO as with any thing, targets should be set and kept to as far as possible. We all have come up against parts of the build that has taken longer than expected but organize it the same way as you would any other project set milestones and stick to them. Plan ahead so as to get things done in a logical order that way you don’t have to do it twice or even three times

Guest Battery Bill
I can get pretty much anything brand new, including steel sump pans! Almost ideal......

Not if you end up an OAP before you build the Blurry car :rolleyes: :rolleyes: