Touch Of Blue Smoke On Revving

Jon Bradbury

My DOHC engine suffers from blue smoke when you rev it. At normal running speed its fine, just the blue puff on a rev.

I thought it might be valve seals (I have a new set which came with an unfitted head gasket kit... don't ask...). Is there any reasonable way to fit these to the valve stems without removing the head? Problem I see is compressing the springs with the head in situ..

Any ideas?

Jon,

I had the same with mine.

Engine fine in the sierra but once I started it in the kit I had lots of smoke when revin. I hoped it would go away with a bit of running but no such luck. Head back off to replace the valve seals ( I think they had dryed up and gone hard waiting for me to get it going again ) with new valve seals in all my smokin disappeared. Should have changed them when I had the engine apart the first time, we live and learn. <_<

It don't take that long to remove the head, after a few times I'm getting good at it now. It's just the problem of resetting the hydraulic chain tensioner instead of forking out for a new one again.

See my web site on how to do it.

Les

Mitch -

Ah-ha! Thought it was possible but wasn't sure. The valves are a bit harder to get at on a DOHC engine but I reckon I might be able to manage it. Good idea using rope - I thought you might be able to clamp the valve stem through the inlet / outlet ports.

Les -

Didn't realise yours was on the road - nice one! I definitely don't want to take the head off mine as it has been skimmed and it looks as if a thicker head gasket has been fitted. However, having done 100k miles it ought to have a new chain (and tensioner, I'm not worried about the cost, it can't be that expensive surely?) but I have always thought I'd like to drop the DOHC engine and go Vx powered soon after SVA. That's why I didn't do this whilst I had the engine on a stand.

I like your interior - are those the Recaro seats? And did you make those inner side panels yourself? What is the car like to drive?

Jon,

If you have had your engine rebuilt or just your head skimmed you will certainly have to have had a new tensioner fitted as they are not reusable ( as per Mr ford )

I have taken my head off three times, that would have meant 3 new tensioners at £30 a time (ouch), that's why I worked out how they were assembled so I could reuse the new one I fitted the first time.

I think the chain cost just over £20.

The seats in my car are the sierra ones with leather look seat covers fitted ( £30 from Big W )

The inner side panels are grained sheets of board I got from a kit car show, I bought 4 to be on the safe side and still have 2 left :(

I have driven over 1000 smiles in it so far and it's going great, I'm thinking of some way to get a bit more power now.

Les