Non Starting Superspec

Guest watfordyellowspec

Guest watfordyellowspec

Hello everyone, I am a new user and this is my first post. Firstly I'd just like to say what a fantastic site this is!

and secondly.... my superpsec wont start. Im about half way through the build and decided to complete the main wiring so I could get the engine going to hear that all important roar. I have not connected any of the lights or associated switches as yet but have completed all other wiring and installed relays etc. All wires for non connected components have been isolated and the earths earthed.

The engine turns over but when I turn the ignition on there are no clicks form the relays. Im really a novice when it comes to electrics but I have put the voltmeter across the relays and there seems to be something wrong. Ive got 12V at terminals 1, 2 and 3 on all the relays even when the ignition is off. When I turn the ignition on, I get 12V coming INTO the ECU and Lambda relays at terminal 5 (apparently from the ECU). This doesnt seem correct at all and am obviously not having the relays actuate. They do work as I have tested them, has anyone got any ideas?

I havent connected the instrument cluster either yet as again I just wanted that peace of mind that she fires and runs. Surely that shouldnt make any difference to the circuits working properly or am I wrong?

Any help most gratefully received!!

Guest salty_monk

Welcome to the board.

Can't offer you any pearls of wisdon I'm afraid. A fellow superspeccer will hopefully pop up soon, or maybe Longboarder with one of his diagrams :D

Guest chris brown

Colin

Welcome to the site I don’t know much about the SS but I suspect you are corect in that the instrument cluster shouldn’t make any difference. I'd be more concerned with the fact that none of the relays energize. The fuel pump relay should energize for about half a second then drop back out when you switch the ignition on then energize again on cranking.

1/. Check if fuel pump is working as I don’t know your loom I can’t direct you as to how to check the circuit but it is normal to have a fuse between the pump and the relay contact the other side of the relay should be 12v. This relay is energized via the ECU and only when the engine is turning over or when the ignition is first switched on.

2/. If all is ok at 1 above do you have sparks and are they occurring in time with compression stroke TDC (approx)?

3/. Are the injector’s firing? Check for wet plugs, plugs smelling of petrol, If not then as they are controlled by the ECU from the crank position sensor (which also controls the spark) I would start there.

Ps fill in your details (location etc) on your profile you never know there may be a SS close by.

Guest watfordyellowspec

Thanks Guys,

I have tested the fuel pump and it is working, although not throught the relay on turning the key.

I havent got a spark either. I was thinking it might be the ECU. Has anyone had the RH supplied ECU's dead on arrival? I dont hear any stepper motors working either when I turn the ignition on.

By the way Im in Watford, Herts if there is anyone nearby.

Guest micky bigthumbs

Sorry collin i must be the worst with electrics ..but welcome you might have to wait for longborder to come online but try chrisses advice he aint bad at the leckys

Mick

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

The superspec does seem to have problems with the ECU - mine didn't sense the throttle potentiometer, and other people have had problems. You should be able to get it checked out by Avon.

(I've also had problems with RH's engine loom and the Vicki Green loom which suggests quality control is/was non existant although the wife blames it on chassis 13)

I'll have a look at what volts i've got where with the ignition on.

Bit of extra advice.

Before trying to start it, make sure that the throttle cable isn't connected, because the stepper motor will probably be in a position that gives ~4000 rpm (so takes forever to start, and then when it does its noisy!). It needs to be powered to move to the idle position - then connect the throttle cable.

Also check that you've got the fuel pipes connected properly, and it might be worth making sure that the 'baked bean tin' fuel filter is full of fuel (its at very high pressure so go really careful when disconecting the pipes - the fountain effect can be disconcerting).

I don't know the superspec wiring loom. Can anyone mail me a copy they have scanned. (Any one with a scanned VG loom copy I would like one as well) Don't think the dash connections are important unless one is shorting.

By the relay numbering I assume you are using micro relays and it seems wired as below. ECU's normaly operate things by switching the earth to them on and off. Can any superspecers confirm their ECU works this way. If this is correct for the superspec ECU then my guess of what they should be is below.(but you know this.)

NUMBER------YOU HAVE----------------SHOULD BE

1 ________ Batt Live _____________ Ign Live

2 ________ Batt Live _____________ ECU switched earth

3 ________ Batt Live _____________ Batt Live

4 ________ Nil __________________ Output

5 ________ Ign + or ECU Out+ ____ Output

All I can suggest at this stage is that you check continuity of wires. Disconnect the battery, all switches off and remove all wires from one relay. Individualy connect one end of your meter set on continuity or 20 ohms to each one and search for its other end at the ECU plug (and check it's the correct terminal), batt + cable, earth or the target unit (ie lambda sensor). Do all of these for each wire as some may be connected or shorted to more than one thing. (obviously batt + is conected to every other batt + in the loom). Hopefully that will allow you to positively identfy each wire and its proper function.

Nigel

Guest watfordyellowspec

Thanks a lot fellas,

Im pleased to say we have ignition. I was giving it all one more once over and found the most obvious thing it could have been - an earth on the engine loom that I had tucked out of the way somewhere at an earlier stage, so all my fault.

Once that was sorted she fired up first kick :)

Pleased and embarassed from Watford.

Guest chris brown

Well done now you have real motivation to crack on BTW come along to one of our meets one month we have several builders including a couple with Super Specs who join us for a natter. For info Click here

Guest bugsy
Pleased and embarassed from Watford.

Glad you are pleased, Its a great feeling hearing it start for the 1st time :rolleyes:

And dont be embarrassed, from what i hear Watford isnt too bad a place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bugsy

Guest stu205
Nowt as wierd as electrickery. No idea why those symptoms should be due to a missing earth. What was the earth from?

Nigel

Witchcraft if you ask me!! :lol: