Carb Balancer

A17YOB

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Ed

There must be some one you know you can take for a drink, save borrowing a carb balancer. :D :D

Seriously though If its to balance twin 40/45's have you tried using a length of rubber hose, place it about 1/2 inch down trumpets and the other end in your ear. You will be amazed how accurate you can be with a bit of patience HTH

Ian J

Guest Ian & Carole

Just spent ten mins typing just to press the wrong button and lose it all :gdit:

Here goes.

Get the engine to normal running temp.

With the pipe placed in your ear put the other end into one of the trumpets about an inch and make a note of the sound it is making.

Now place the pipe in one of the trumpets on the other carb and compare the sounds.

If they are far out slowly adjust the balance setting using the screw on the spindle that connects the two carbs together if they were far out your tick over will have changed.

Reset the speed of the tick over and recheck the noise the carbs are making once all four are making the same noise you have a pair of balanced carbs.

Time to adjust the mixture now.

Starting at one end slowly turn the screw in untill the engine starts to "hunt" .Stop and turn the screw slowly the other way untill, again, the engine "hunts" now turn the screw back to the middle ground between rich and weak.

Do this to all four mixture screws.

Now go for a good blat and when you come back get out the pipe and just listen again to all four trumpets and just fine tune the balance if needed and just slowly recheck the mixture settings.

Take your time and it is realy easy :ph34r: (honest) and very satisfying.

HTH Any more info needed just pm me.

Right will now go and soak my fingers

Ian J

I used a Gunson carb balancer to set my twin carbs up. You should be able to get one from your local motor factors.

If you run into problems need to use my one just PM me and I will look it out for you. I think its lost in the mist of time somewhere at the back of the garage :lol: Where abouts in Hants are you? Im in Camberley Surrey.

Have a look at this web site

Gunson tools

Chris B)

I used a Gunson carb balancer to set my twin carbs up. You should be able to get one from your local motor factors.

If you run into problems need to use my one just PM me and I will look it out for you. I think its lost in the mist of time somewhere at the back of the garage :lol: Where abouts in Hants are you? Im in Camberley Surrey.

Have a look at this web site

Gunson tools

Chris B)

hey chris, i work in farnham area, but to be fair i have balanced them with the length of tube method and they seem fine now.

if i get stuck again and i need to do it more accurately i'll give you a shout

B) B)