Cycle Wing Mounts

itllbedonesoon

hello,

i can not get the front wheels on my 2B+ as they are obstructed by the cycle wing brackets. The brackets came complete in the kit from RH but looking at the photo's on peoples web sites, the brackets i have seem to be a little different.

i hope this is clear:

1/ the taper of the dummy McPhurson strut should be to the inside?

2? the cycle bracket arms should be on the inside to allow clearance of the wheel?

3/ the forward arm should be the bent upwards arm?

if this correct, on the brackets i have the cycle bracket arms are on the outside and hence i can not get my wheels on. i have attached a pic of one of the brackets i was supplied.

Can anyone tell me if these brackets are ok or am i the dummy?

please help?

post-5-1145881877.jpg

That looks like the cycle wing brackets I have from a 2B/4 kit. I didn't know if they were the same as the 2B+ ones but I can't see why they shouldn't be the same.

Are you fitting them on the right sides? That one pictured should be for the offside. Here is a picture of one fitted to our 2B/4. I have recycled the picture so ignore the green scrawl.

sva2.jpg

Guest mastarforth

Are you try to use the original sierra wheels for your build?

When I first tried to fit these I intended of carry out the build on the orginal Sierra wheels, however teh brackets actually fouled the tyre, so had to carry out the build on the supplied alloys. Just a thougth

andrew

Guest chris brown

As others have said they don’t fit with ford wheels as they need the extra offset. But for the build you can fit the Ford wheels (providing they are steels) inside out.

ahhhhh!!!!! i see. :rolleyes:

I was trying do fit the original Sierra wheels, they are Sierra pepper pot alloys. I will try the kit alloys to check the clearance and wing bracket alignment. I may just have to continue the build on axel stands.

i will let you know how it goes. This forum is great. thanks for all the advise :D

I built with Sierra steel wheels up to the point where I fitted the cycle wings on. The brackets where on with the steel wheels on no problems.

I think there is a difference with the 2B/4 verses the 2B+. The brackets I have have 2 30mm tabs that hang down on the inboard edge. These fix to 90 degree brackets that are held in place by the pinch bolt in the hub. Also I have a tab on the outboard side of the bracket that has a bolt through it and a hole I had to drill in the hub.

I can't see any of these tabs on the picture of a 2B+ cycle wing bracket above. Also the 2B+ tubes that attach the cycle wing to the cycle wing bracket are different to the 2B/4 ones. My front tube only has 1 bend while the rear has 2. The 2B+ ones pictured above both have 2 bends.

As far as i have got so far on my 2B+ that would seem to comply with what you are saying.

The wing brakets are pre shaped with the 2 bends. The mounting itself is pre welded by RH to the dummy McPhurson strut and there are no tabs that are require drilling and bolting to the hub/pinch bolt.

Guest warwick7735

Hi

Those brackets you've got are the same as on my LW. I put the the bent bar closest to the car, The wing fits over the RH alloys no bother. You should have 2 further pieces of steel tubing bent at 90degrees which slide over the bar so you can alter the distance of the mudguard from the wheel.

Warwick

Guest chris brown
Interesting.Tim and Chris have fitted them different ways
No Nigel they are two different brackets The photo I posted isn’t of my car and there is no option on how to fit them as they are welded to the dummy Mc strut unlike Tim's and mine which are separate and have the Mc strut fitted through the hole in the bracket. The earlier ones were when Richard S was selling the 2B as a one donor car including the wheels before he found 4000 cheap alleys and decided to sell them as part of the kit rather than optional extras.

I have been watching this thread with great interest especialy as i have a set of the RH wing brackets that the dummy strut fits through.

My concern is ( thank heavens i have not bought the alloys yet) what offset to get.

So what is the offset of the RH alloys?

offset on the RH alloys are ET15, the ones I had on before were ET38, same as ford (had to move the cycle wings out to fit the RH wheels).

The RH ones move the wheel out from the hub which will give you the clearance from the cycle wing tubes.

Les