Speed/design Weight

Guest Pete Tomo

Guest Pete Tomo

Hi Everyone

Having sent off my SVA application I have received a response requesting certain details before VOSA can process this.

Can anyone help?

They require actual maximum road speed of the vehicle (not just the 70 mph which Richard quotes at the end of the video, I put this initially). I have used a 2L Pinto with carb.

They also require the Design Gross Vehicle Weight.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by mickmellors

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Pete,

My understanding is that the maximum speed is required to check the suitability of the tyres fitted to the car.

From "Autocar" data the maximum speed for a 2.0litre Sierra was 109 mph.

The Sierra was supposed to be a "slippery" shape compared with the Hood ( having the aerodynamics of two bricks). So somewhere in the 100 - 105 mph range should not be too far from the truth.

For this radial tyres with S, T , H or above rating would be deemed suitable.

I'm not too sure about the max design weight - hopefully someone who has got their car through SVA could supply a suitable figure.

Terry

Guest Pete Tomo

Thanks for the info. Terry.

Will give Richard a ring with regard to the design weight.

I want to get back to VOSA with the information they require asap.

Pete

Edited by mickmellors

I know too ... and it's not what I thought it was first of all ... and I don't think he's just on a power trip either :lol: ... though apparently he needs to do something to give him an excuse for not working on his car, right Mick? :D

Ant

Guest mickmellors

There is nothing sinister chaps.

As you will, I hope, have noticed, the Club and the 'Factory' are building a rather enjoyable relationship at the moment.

Richard from RHSC keeps up to date with the Clubs activities and regularly checks out the websites.

He has expressed his admiration for the friendly way in which we all help each other out when problems occur etc.

His only black mark - if you could call it that - was the quite regular use of a nick name that he is less than keen on, especially on a website which is accessible by the general public and especially by people who may be wishing to buy a Kit from him.

The nickname is used in good humor and without malice by those who occasionally use it and is seen in good spirit by those of us who know Richard. There is however the possibility that it could be misconstrued by 'outsiders' and may result in loss of business to RHSC and loss of potential fellow RHOCaR members.

I therefore use my 'power' as a moderator and edit the postings in order to avoid unintentional offence and nurture good relationships all round.

I think the fact that Richard donated well over £1000 of prizes for the Club Members at Stoneleigh speaks volumes for the relationship that is forming and long may it last.

Cheers all

Mick M

PS - Ant, methinks you have my number ! !

Guest stevey

My say on speed and design,when I sent my sva application in to Swansea I had to barter with "welsh bloke" to come up with a mutually acceptable max speed we settled on 90 mph and I had no problems. And gentlemen I am sorry I shall cease to refer to my good friends up north as the sherriff of nottingham and his merry men ;)

Steve

Hum.

I also think this nickname is inappropriate and I'll give you all a good example:

The petrol tank RHSC supplied with my DOHC kit leaked, so I duly rang up the technical help line to get advice. No problem, says our man, I'll arrange for it to be collected and it'll be fixed and returned to you. This happened promptly at no cost to me and a recall was issued to all the other DOHC kit owners who had fuel tanks. Very professional, especially the recall.

By the way, the returned tank doesn't leak.

Cheers

JonB

Guest cjbailey

To be honest, the dealings I had with him before buying made me less than happy. If it wasn't for this club I would almost certainly not have bought the car. I am sure he is a nice enough bloke, it is just the way he seems to deal with people.

Anyhow, the club is brilliant and people should bear that in mind when they are looking at kits! :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Just after I collected my kit, I filled out the feedback form on the Robin Hood Web site, I baisicley said that the club was the reason I bought the car and I probably wouldn't have bought one without it, I also asked why RH didn't have a link to the club on their site or seem to accnowlage it.

I have to admit that I didn't realise that Richards name was Richard at first as everyone referd to him as <<<DONT WORY I'LL REMOVE IT MYSELF>>>.

I have spoken to Richard on the phone regarding a technical query and he did seem a very abrupt, but I have also spoken to him at the shows and he is a good bloke with a dry sence of humer.

I think that RHSC is an 'hands on' type company because that's the way Richard is, he obvioulsy enjoys the down to earth aproach and so do the people that build the cars.

I also think he gets just as much of a kick out of it as we do.

Guest paul thompson

Interesting thread this is developing into, All the dealings I have had with Richard Stewart have followed similar lines as above, the answers I got on the technical help line were allways spot on, to the point and helpful, Whenever I spoke to Richard himself he was never rude, but sometimes curt, I am sure that he has had to answer the same dumb questions many times and is a very busy man, the service from Rhe ne RHSC was allways first rate, when I ordered something it came really quick, was exactly what I wanted, Richard allways does his best to help and I for one thank him for without him it is unlikely I would be a kit builder at all.

Guest morty

While he may have good enthusiasm for what he does, and generally exhibit a helpful nature to others, evrytime I've talked to him about the kit at shows, I've found his responses to be very abrupt and he seems only too keen to move me on, to have a dedicated discussion with someone twice my age. :angry: :angry:

It could be because I'm a lot younger than his usual customers (17), but all my questions put to him have been serious enquiries about the kit, be it about the donor, the spec, or most recently about producing the 2B at the end of the year. At the end of the day, surely my money is as good as anyone elses, so do I not deserve the same common courtesy?

Anyway, tRichard Stewart is to be commended for originally striving to produce a cheap kit for all the population (I think he's strayed from the path a little recently (super spec)) but as has been said, I desperately want a hood for the club, and without it 2B would soon become In*y.

He owes the club for sales, hoodies owe him the price of a kit, not much more!

Sorry Mick, but that's my toughts

Morty

Guest mickmellors

Thanks chaps for the honest and well composed responses to my post up above.

Guy - you collected your kit in Feb 03, at that time we were still mending some rickety bridges between Club and Factory, having only just taken the reins of the Club on 1st Jan 03. Richard has since very kindly added a link to his website to show his visitors the way to us ! Well done and thanks for bringing it to his attention in your feedback to the Factory.

Morty - you have a very wise head for your years, I can quite see that you may have got the feeling that your enquiries to Richard were getting the brush off. He does get a lot of 'kids' coming up to him asking for brochures, which cost money to produce and he gives free of charge where most others charge 2 or 3 quid. I have personally seen 3 lads at a show pick up a brochure each and within 50 metres or so all threw them to the ground. The way you contribute to this site shows you to be different to that. You are the 1 in 100 but human nature seems to paint all with the same brush. Dont rush into age though - maturity brings other problems ! ! !

To all - if you are unhappy with the service let them know but equally if you are happy, let them know that too. As Morty says, Richard comes from a hands on background and is a true master at his craft. He sticks to what he does best and avoids the rest.

Put yourself in his shoes - he gets some REAL PLONKERS asking whacky questions all weekend long and it gets to the point where he is dreading the next stupid question - and just at that point YOU turn up and dont quite get the smile you hoped for. He IS a GREAT guy - give him space and he shows it time after time.