Edge Covering On Track Rods

Guest Ant

Hi all,

I rung Derby SVA centre yesterday to have a chat about waiting lists etc. Whilst on the phone I asked him what he's into failing Hoods for. He listed lots of usual things like rated bolts and seat belt positions etc, but he then said that they were no longer able to pass track rods which are protected with pipe lagging and cable ties. Apparently "it has to look a lot more permanent than that ... as if a vehicle manufacturer had done it", so he obviously doesn't think that Ford and the likes would use pipe lagging!

So, any ideas ... something to cover the track rods which looks a lot more permanent than pipe lagging and cable ties.

Ant

Hi Ant,

I had a set of RHE early coilovers, which I very soon ditched,

but inside was a rubber bellows (dust cover), just like the one fitted to the rack.

I cable tied it to the TRE & the outer end of the existing bellows,

Passed SVA & looks good...it's still on there.

Bob.

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Ant,

I've seen the track rods covered by that convoluted plastic conduit (not split).

It's also sold by caravan dealers as flexible sink drain pipe ( ~ 25mm dia)

A 2B with this fitted passed within the last couple of months - however the same SVA centre refused to accept the RHE upper seatbelt mounts welded to the back of the square tube and they had to be drilled through the square tube with nuts welded underneath.

You pays your money and takes your choice !!

:(

Terry

If you are going for SVA you presumably have some nut covers (other than a jock strap) from someone like Namrick. Cut a track rod sized hole in two covers and thread them on to cover the locking nuts. Check over the body of the track rod end and smooth it out either by filing sharp edges or with filler paste till flush with the nut cover, to eliminate any non-compliant radii and paint. Profesional looking, permanent and a pass. Make sure you can slide the nut cover along the track rod to access the locknut for adjustment.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jwaterman

Hi Ant

I have just passed the SVA (1st time round and on the 1st April) I used the corrigated alluminium power steering pipe lagging/ protector from a sierra / granada.

All i did was to compress it, split the track rod and fed in on. it just passes over the tie rod coupler. Recoupled the tie rod and the streched the courigated pipe over entire lenght. fits really well. Then Sprayed it black. looks the bizz, SVA examiner was very complimentary of it.

Hope this helps.

John W.

Guest SteveL
however the same SVA centre refused to accept the RHE upper seatbelt mounts welded to the back of the square tube and they had to be drilled through the square tube with nuts welded underneath.

Terry

I heard about this before, but I thought that Richard had produced a letter which mentioned an EU directive which meant that the welded tubes were okay? I'm sure someone appealed on this, and got through with the normal welded tubes. Can't remember who, though.

Steve

That was me. The test centre in Leighton Buzzard were not sure about the seatbelt mounts. The failed me and wanted me to drill a hole through the chassis, weld a tube into it, then feed the bolt through the tube. I informed Richard, who was not best pleased with their interpretation of the regulations, so he drafted a letter explaining how destruction testing and mathematical calculation had been done to meet EE Directive blah, blah, blah. He also points out that the SVA compliant Sierra donor's seatbelts are mounted with a 6.5mm rivet!

I have scanned the letter in and have a soft version, either Word document (90Kb) or the .jpg scanned letter (607Kb). If anyone wants a copy of the letter, just let me know and I will email it.

Daz

Guest TerryBarry

Gentlemen,

According to the owner/builder the SVA centre (Mitcham) were prepared to accept the two outer mounts welded to the square tube but not the two inner ones. Something to do with possible distortion of the square tube under load.

They were prepared to go through the appeal proceedure but warned that it would take one month minimum, the owner did what most of us might (a quick trip home and out with grinder and welder).

It would be interesting to know what their reaction to the letter would have been if presented at the time.

I suppose that closer to the time I must build up a little dossier to carry with me ( to be produced only if really necessary - we don't want to antagonize them up front - do we !!).

Terry

The line in the letter that would have interested them, then, is where Richard quotes the EEC Directive 18.12.1975 from legislation Vol 19, Number L24, dated 30 Jan 1976, Item 5.51:

"Permanent deformation incorporating partial rupture or breakage of any achorage or surrounding area shall NOT constitute a failure."

So there! B)

Daz

Guest SteveL
I have scanned the letter in and have a soft version, either Word document (90Kb) or the .jpg scanned letter (607Kb). If anyone wants a copy of the letter, just let me know and I will email it.

Daz

Hi Daz

One copy of the Word document to Steve@robinhood2b.freeserve.co.uk please! I'll take it with me when I get round to my SVA, just in case.

Cheers

Steve