Brake Compensater Valve

Guest nightracer35

Guest nightracer35

can any1 tell me do i need a brake compensator valve or not, if so how is the best way to fit 1? (been told you have to get them spot on or wont work?) any help appreciated.

many thanks ron

Guest peter2b2002

Hi ,I fitted one ,but had it near level , i cut a slot in the mounting plate so i could adjust it, doing this way the rear brakes don't lock up during the sva test.

pete2b

Guest Dan_Beeston

Are we talking about the original Sierra brake compensator valve?, as I have often wondered about this myself…….

From what I understand the Sierra valve is an inertia device, limiting pressure to the back brakes under heavy deceleration when the weight is transferred to the front wheels.

As such it will have no effect during a roller brake test (as in SVA) as there is no actual vehicle deceleration and no weight transfer, hence the limiting device will not operate?

Can anyone confirm or deny the above?, am I misunderstanding the operation of the device?............

Can anyone confirm or deny the above?, am I misunderstanding the operation of the device?............

My understanding is that if the vave is fitted, they have to test the brakes 'out in the car park'.

If it's not fitted, the test is done on the rollers.

A Robin Hood will stop well enough, but not dive. It's a combination of the two that operates the valve (allthough it can be mounted at whatever angle to compensate for little dive).

I think the general consensus is not to fit it.

Fitted mine. Brakes tested on the rollers at SVA not in the car park. Having braked enthusiastically a few times I have never had the rears lock up before the fronts. Fitted it in the tunnel at the same angle as the sierra.

Maybe, if you fitted it in the tunnel, the SVA man didn't see it and so didn't think one was fitted? :unsure:

I decided it was best to own up before the brake test. I have to admit I had heard that the test was easier to pass with the valve fitted!? :huh:

Guest hypermick

Hi All,.

I havent fitted mine either but I was going to ask if anyone has left the servo out too ?

I've assisted with the build of two Westies in the last few months and we didnt fit the valve or a servo to either but we did use the Westfield brake master cylinder supplied by Westfield in each build.

Comments appreciated.

Mick

do you have 240 or 260mm front discs Bill? I tried it and din't like it at all, found it had no feel when close to locking up, and i needed to jump on it to get it to stop!