Brake Compensater Valve

Guest nightracer35

Guest salty_monk

Tiger Racing do the longer pushrod to work with Sierra master cylinder. They are about 12 quid I think.

Bill - he's spoilt, probably never driven a motor without a servo before... :p :lol: My girlfriend managed alright in the Morris Minor with drums all round & no servo & her feet are size 1!! :lol:

Dan

Guest hypermick

Thanks for that Bill.

Im sure the car will be fine without the servo,.....................but Bill did you leave the valve in place or not ? <_<

I'd really like to know if its ok with both left out .

Noted also on the servo rod Salty. I can sort that one out here, but if not its good to know where from.

Mick

Guest hypermick

Cheers for that,......................so its away with the valve and the servo.

This thing of mine has discs all round, (taken off the first donor). So I cant forsee a problem stopping it !

But thought it best to check with you guys.

Mick

Bill if you can post a piccie of the servo rod when you get time that would be good.

Having looked inside the servo it may be possible to release the rod, from within the fiddly looking clip arrangement. It will have to wait till the week-end though,. I can then size it up and see what needs doing to mod it.

Mick.

You need a rod with the mushroom end for the master cylinder and a spike and groove at the other for the brake pedal. It must be the correct length when fitted allowing the master cylinder to fully retract plus 2mm or so of free play to allow the feed holes from brake resevoir into master cylinder to be uncovered so fluid can flow in/out.

(no valve)

Nigel

Guest old_timbo

There are two different rear drum sizes, two different rear slave cylinder sizes, rear discs, two different front disc sizes and then you have to start considering weight distribution of your build, tyre diameters widths etc. The chance of getting the front / rear brake balance right with or without the standard compensator (which has to be mounted at just the right angle anyway) seems to be remote.

My 2B had the standard 2.0L sierra disc front, large drum rear and no compensator. The builder got it through SVA in Southampton no problem. When I got hold of it the first thing I did was to check out the brakes. The rears locked long before the fronts. Even under moderate braking the rear tyres howled. Clearly dangerous. Therefore I put an adjustable brake valve in the rear brake line (£50 from Compubrake) and now have nicely balanced brakes. For the SVA it would be necessary to remove the adjustment knob, box the valve in or similar so that it was not possible to change the balance once set. However there hasn't been any comments during subsequent MOT's despite it being fully visible on the engine bulkhead by the battery and functional.

I think the use of a servo is purely down to the type of pedal feel that you prefer. I have a servo which means the pedal feel is more like my everyday car. When I drive my sons non-servo assisted Mini with uprated discs it takes quite a bit of getting used to despite the actual brakes being very good

I've not finished my build yet, but the car is driveable and the brakes are working.

The effectiveness of them however (fronts v backs and overall generally) is still not certain.

I think I may suffer from the backs locking up before the fronts.

However, none of them are bedded in yet, so It's hard to tell at the moment.

I don't want the hassle of fitting a balancer so I was wondering if simply trying different pads may help?

:unsure:

Guest Battery Bill

Mick

Bill if you can post a piccie of the servo rod when you get time that would be good.

Sorry we forgot to measure the diameter of the bar :wub: :wub:

Hope it helps :D

post-160-1152034652_thumb.jpg

i had an adjustable bias valve when i went for sva

it passed both extremes

first day at barkstone started adjusting

ended up with it fully off

so took it off

if you wanna try it your welcome

dave

Guest salty_monk

Big drums big disks on first one, small drums small disks on second one... 2b's are so over braked it makes bugger all difference...

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk

I would certainly run one without the servo if space was tight, it'll give you a heavier pedal but it's only what you get used to....

Dan :)