Knocking/rubbing When Hard Cornering..

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

Hello all, what a fantastic summer were finally having..

Just a wanting some ideas, - when I'm cornering hard I'm getting a knoocking through the steering, on both left and right turns.. More so when I'm accelerating hard out.. it feels just like a worn CV joint on a front wheel drive..

what could be causing this..? The front wheels clear everything, and nothing comes close to touching the rotating wheel.. Could it be caused by the rear end? a worn CV joint(s) and the knocking travelling throught the chassis and manifesting in the steering rack..?

Any ideas, this is really annoying..

thnx for reading

tak

I have a slight contact problem between exhaust manifold and steering shaft but it only happens on left hand bends when the engine + manifold moves towards the steering shaft. On Right hand corners the gap gets bigger. Unless you have a differnet manifold steering shaft arrangement (steering shaft through the manifold) in not sure it's possible to get them to touch when the engine moves both ways... Just a thought! :blink:

Jon

Guest timswait

When you say hard cornering do you mean lots of steering lock, lots of laternal g force, or a combination of both? I think worn/loose front wheel bearings may cause a knock when subject to high cornering loads (as in high g). If your suspesnion doesn't have enough travel on one of the ball joints at full lock that may cause it if it only happens at full lock...

I get a knocking on right hand bends at high G. Since I changed engines the prop can contact the tunnel side under high G. I need to move the rear gearbox mount slightly to the left.

Guest Takumi

used to get the prop hitting the tunnel, when the gear box cone rubber boot mounting moved to much, thats gone now and the gear box is bolted straight to the chassis at the back..

My knocking seems like a mystery..