Cycle Wings

Grizzly

Hi All,

Just fitting these now - Things are going pretty well.

To get them to fit correctly though, it looks like I'll need to take a couple of bites out of each one (see photo).

Before I do though, is this fairly standard practice? Or am I on the wrong track here?

post-1241-1160226481_thumb.jpg

I managed to fit mine without taking anything out, though I have seen a few examples where they've taken chunks out. Personally i'd try to avoid cutting into them.... it is possible to fit them without.

Jon

Guest Ian & Carole

Steve

Some people have abandond the supplied tube in favour of flat bar.

It allows a closer fit to the tyre aswell.

Might be worth a moments thought before you make your final decision.

Ian J

Thanks for the tips. The trouble I'd have with flat bar is that I don't have any welding facilities (or skills :) ).

I've tried bending this stuff in the vice, but it's too strong. There's a hire shop near me, so I'm considering hiring a pipe bender - I'll go and have a chat with them and see what the options are.

As per the photo, I'm planning on bending at Points 'A' and straightening at Points 'B'.

post-1241-1160241347_thumb.jpg

Guest old_timbo

My original guards had cut-outs to make them fit, and didn't look very good. I think this may in part be caused by trying to make 8" nominal width guards work with 205 (8") tyres. When I get to them during the rebuild I hope to come up with something better. There seems to be some 9" wide guards around on Ebay and other places which should help. Not sure what is supplied in later 2B kits, but mine were the guards supplied as standard in 2002.

At the end of the day I think there is going to be a lot of heating and rebending involved. The bar which is welded to the dummy McPhearson strut (originals were on a separate plate that the strut passes through) looks like it needs a good tweeking and is going to be especially tough :(

I've been having another ponder about this (Yes I know I should get out more :D ).

As everything's now been cut, the pieces are quite short - I could be tricky working them in a pipe bender.

Next plan therefore is to get hold of some 15mm box section and use it as a sort of spacer. This should bring the elbow's of the bends away from under the guard by the corresponding amount (15mm). See drawing.

I think this may do the trick.

Grizz

i know you haven't got a welder, but heres how i did the cycle wings

fittinggazshocks017.jpg

i used 3mm flat bar from B&Q welded to the brackets and plugged the ends to make them sva friendly.

once its welded on the bar is easy to bend to fit neatly round the tyre but strong enough to hold the wing firmly in place.

i reckon you could get it done cheaply enough by a local firm to make it worth looking at, or maybe some other hoodie nearby could help you out

Steve

Grizzly , I have a pipe bender and a brazing hearth for bending stuff planning on doing some walking on N Yorks moors at half term which is last week October /1st week November. If you can wait until then, I could drop pipe bender off on way and collect on way back or if it is just bending bar send me some measurements and I'll see what we can rustle up.

Guest Bazwaz

Steve

I've got a mig welder you can borrow if you want. I could bring to the meet on tues if your planning on coming. Just don't ask me for any welding advice as i'm not very good at it!

Barry

Steve

I've got a mig welder you can borrow if you want. I could bring to the meet on tues if your planning on coming. Just don't ask me for any welding advice as i'm not very good at it!

Barry

Hang on to the welder for now Barry - Thanks. I've not gone any further with this at the moment (still thinking about it and now messing with the bonnet). I'm intending to be at the Club tonight, I'll be bringing my camera - maybe I'll see some examples to provide more food for thought. Thanks to all for all the advice so far.

I have a pipe bender and a brazing hearth for bending stuff

Hi Mike, I think the first option is to have a go at bending the tubes. Do you have any pics of the pipe bender? Do you think it'll work on fairly short lengths? Many Thanks.

Guest alan rowe

Grizzly -- have a look at Baz's front wing fitting ----- I did that using flat plate and fitted Dax wings getting them really close to the tyre making all the difference - I think it looks really neat

A

Grizzly -- have a look at Baz's front wing fitting ----- I did that using flat plate and fitted Dax wings getting them really close to the tyre making all the difference - I think it looks really neat

A

Will do! - I could've done that last night but didn't because I thought they'd be completely different to what I have - Doh!

Thanks for all the advice and tips one and all - Apart from Mitch's (and a few other's - you know who you are) who said I'd got them on the wrong way round :p :p - I haven't at all, but I bet you enjoyed the wind-up :D :D