Engine Oil?

Snapperpaul

Getting ready for fitting the engine and that all important first start so went in to Halfords and had a look at the oil chart............. Now i am confused, i thought the pinto liked 20w 50, Halfords says 10w 40 and then i stumbled across 5w 50 "for hard driving and trackdays" plus there is always the fully synthetic 0w 40.

Now this engine owes me a good few quid and in the future probably a bit more so i need to give it the best protection i can.

WHICH ONE??

Guest golfgtidarren
Duckhams is 20 50

I have managed to find some 20 60. It's made by Penrites for the older / classic car.

Ford say use a semi synthetic

The one to try is a VW oil (Synta silver) approx £15 per 5 llr( ex any vw main dealer) and a genuine Ford oil filter @ £4 (from Ford of course!!)

Hope that helps

ps dont use a 20/50 -- ita old technology and your engine WILL wear out faster and run hotter

Darren

Guest salty_monk

If the engine's rebuilt a decent 10w 40 will do. Semi synthetic is fine. If it's a bit older then 20w 50 will help to stop it losing so much oil as it's a bit thicker.

I use Comma 10w 40 or 15w 40 in mine.

Neither will make it run hotter, in theory thinner oil might give you a bit better MPG but you won't notice it.

If you use fully syn then it needs to be on a new engine & you have to keep using it. Semi is not so bad but it's still not a great idea to switch, switching has been known to cause seal breakdown & leaks develop.

Dan :)

Hi

20-50 may be old technology but then again so is the Pinto.

Personally if the engine is standard (Or only mildly tuned) I wouldn't worry too much and use a normal 20-50 variety such as Duckhams etc.

If the engine has been modified substantially I would be looking at a quality brew such as Valvolene Racing 20-50 (Ensure it is the Racing variety), costs a little more but if you have thousands invested in an engine...........need I say more.

Ta

Shandylegs

:D:D

Guest golfgtidarren

I think at the end of the day its all down to what each person likes to use

From years of changing oil in old (ish motors) my mk1 Gti's are 25 yrs old the best oil you can use nowadays is semi synthetic. BUT -----

If the engine is worn, high miles or not been rebuilt then stick to the 20/50 as you can get leaks from the synthetics with old or worn seals

Ask Ford what they would use and they will tell you Semi synthetic now

Cheers

Darren

ps ( i know i keep going on about this but ALWAYS use a genuine filter)

Guest salty_monk

Darren - genuine filters are only really important for the VW's - they have some kind of non return valve & a lot of the OE one's don't.

The pinto one's don't have this so any decent filter from a factors will do.

Guest golfgtidarren
Darren - genuine filters are only really important for the VW's - they have some kind of non return valve & a lot of the OE one's don't.

The pinto one's don't have this so any decent filter from a factors will do.

:blink: :unsure:

Thanks for that but have you ever seen a pinto that has suffered a bottom end failure due to particles getting trapped in the big end shells?

Its not a pretty sight and the wallet takes a bashing too !!

Its all about choice i grant you but a £4 genuine one makes more sense really :)