Llandow

Les Welsher

Just got back from another great track day at Llandow.

Quite a few tintops on track as well as kitcars.

Had some of the morning in sessions then an open it lane, managed to get lots of track time and took 1 1/2 hours of video (have to get some of it uploaded)

Bill was like a mobile chicane in his mondeo, even had sparks coming from his front brakes at one stage

even though he'd just fitted new pads and tyres (must have been cr@p tyres)

The track was hard on near side tyres due to the fast right bends.

After I overtook a few slower cars up the inside braking hard before the bus stop, this manoeuvre then became known as doing a Les. Waited to get told off by the marshal but I got away with it (others were not so lucky)

As normal there was an incident, this time we had a tintop facing the wrong way on the grass with it's rear wheel left in the centre of the track :o . When recovered it was found that the alloy had sheared off around the bolt holes (no damage done to the car thank god) (must have a pic on the video somewhere)

Les

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Norman

sounds like you had a good time. Sorry I couldn't be there. I expect a full report and a few photo's as proof of Johns hard work in procuring the venue at such a knock down rate.

Guest timswait

Aaargh I think I got flashed by a speed camera on the way home :(

Had a fantastic time at the track, brilliant track well done to John for getting it. :D But on the way home the car developed a misfire and the alternator bracket was cracking. Was so relieved/tired to make it home I forgot about the speed camera on the approach into Sheffield <_< Can't have been very much over, I braked as it flashed and by the time I had looked down at the speedo it was under the speed limit. :( Just hope it was out of film or something, but I think they're all digital these days.

Guest Tiger Cat E1

Aye was the nicest day in Llandow area for a while, bit on the cold side but can't have everything, met a couple of people Dan and Les (I assume it was Les since he said he was from Newport).

Took a couple of pics from the day, feel free to save as many as you want.

Can be found @ CLICK HERE Some are just blurs though, need to buy a better camera :lol:

Thanks for letting me pop along.

Daz

Many thanks to Tim & John for organising the event, it was a great day, just a shame there were not more Robin Hoods on the track.

Letting my brother Darren loose in the Firefox (140 bhp cost £5k) for the first time made me very nervous watching from the pit lane. He had several "battles" with the Mitsubishi Evo (340 bhp and cost £32k) and always came out on top. The Evo driver, who works with my Dad, was not happy having to concede :D :D . Firefox went really well and we managed to finish the day with no damage other than a cracked mud guard which was caused by younger brother swiping one of the cones in the bus stop with the rear wheel.

Rob, the TR7 driver was gutted when his rear wheel got ripped off but cheered up a bit when we managed to get a pair of my spare Metro wheels on the back of his Triumph. It looked pretty silly but he got home OK.

Richard

Guest Battery Bill

Fantastic weekend well done to John and Tim for organising this brilliant event, I feel sorry for the people who originally showed interest in a proper Track day but then "Could not make it" :rolleyes:

Bill was like a mobile chicane in his mondeo, even had sparks coming from his front brakes at one stage

even though he'd just fitted new pads and tyres (must have been cr@p tyres)

Les You cheeky Welsh person you :lol: :lol: It was not me who was the mobile chicane it was someone else in a DOHC Hood, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oh and something else that needs correcting in your slanderous last post:

The sparks were there before I changed the front brake pads not "AFTER" :p :p :p

Anyway the Mondeo still did a good job and was one of the quicker cars on the day, a couple of so called "Faster" cars still had to "Do a les" on the straights to get past which meant we had to slow down to let them through :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The car to beat on the day was definately Richards Firefox, mind you he did use slicks :lol: :lol:

Talking tyres! Hows this for a tyre that was only fitted 24 hours previous :lol: :lol:

Anyway the whole event was excellent and it would be a crying shame if this was the last one!

post-160-1160328051_thumb.jpg

Guest erichetherington

Now I know why Battery Bill was so fast :o I'd turn those tyres round PDQ!

Thanks to the orgnisers just remind me to to haggle with them. Just looked at Llandow website and the next trackday is £100/car. We had a bargain :D

Yes I admit I am captain slow. I still had a great weekend but was not going to let Mondeo past and no way could Bill have done a less to get past me. I must say that is a quick tin top. But Bill you should have been in the hood. Fantastic weekend, with some great company. Sharing with Sir Chris worked out fine, could not cuddle up to much as we had to avoid the damp patches !! :unsure:

Thanks John and Tim for a great track day.

Stephen ( Slow )

Guest Daren.F

I think this was one of the best track days we have had.

Thanks to John Tim and all for organising it.

I have just found the problem with my car, only 80psi compression on No.2 cylinder 100 on No.1 and 180 on the rest.

I adjusted the valve clearances and its 190 all round.

I'll lap the smurf twice a lap next year :D

Guest chris brown

What a fantastic day I recon that we did somewhere approaching 100 track miles. That’s what I call value for money thanks to John and Tim it was a pity that neither of you could be there

Nigel shows Joey how it should be done

While Bill "scrubs in" his tyres. Or should that read "scrubs out" his tyres

PS I admit to doing a Les but that mobile chicane was getting me annoyed :p :p :p but the senior track marshal wasn’t very impressed :wub: :wub:

Guest Battery Bill
While Bill "scrubs in" his tyres. Or should that read "scrubs out" his tyres

Chris

Pain in the ar*e that you took the piccy just then because as you know I was busy bedding in the new brake pads so I was braking on the straights for a couple of laps :p :p :p

PS I admit to doing a Les

Yours was a Les and a half :lol: :lol:, but I did enjoy seeing you crawling and grovveling to the clerk of the course :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Just had a look at some of the video

As a taster heres doing a Les on Bill

http://media.putfile.com/doing-a-Les-on-Bill

and one of the tr7 after the wheel fell off, wheel in middle of track

http://media.putfile.com/tr7-crash

off to work now so no time to do any more

Les

Guest Battery Bill

:lol: :lol:

As a taster heres doing a Les on Bill

Ho Hum, I do declare that was me letting you past Lesley :p :p :p :lol: :lol:

Hardly the "Doing a Les" like sir Chris did :lol: :lol:

Guest John Walton

I am pleased that all who went had a great time, although Tim did say it has left us out of pocket as a club.

Several members had asked for a long track for some time, and Llandow offered the best deal.

For those who say it is to far away, how far IS far away for some people.

Nigel and the Southwest mob make it up to Barkston twice a year rain or shine.

If nothing else, it was done at a bargain price, a few weeks earlier and with a lot less haggling it would have cost nearly double what you all paid.

So, looking to next year and in an effort to keep most of the people happy most of the time, we are currently looking at 2 x Barkstons.

If anyone can find a long track in a location that everyone likes at a price everyone likes, go for it.

BUT, the club can not afford to loose money on the deal again.

To those that supported the day........ manny thanks, and also thanks to those who hepled make up the number ( or understood what a bloody good to good to miss deal that it was) keep your eyes peeled for Barkston dates when we get them next year.

To the tight, non travelling fair weather members, I will attemp to find a long track near you and put it on for free with a promise of sunshine. Also to include; free beer, free food and a rubdown with a WD40 soaked copy of Whichkit or Kitcar magazine applied by Vicky Butler-Henderson (Topless)

Sadly, I had to race at Lydden to try and maintain my place in the Tiger Race Championship, which I may have done.

Bottom line is................. those that went had a great time at the right price.