Dvla Inspection

Joel

The on-going saga of getting my car registered continues - I've been asked to take it along to a DVLA inspection. <_<

I seem to remember reading that this inspection is quite straightforward, and may be as simple as checking the vin numbers correspond between car and paperwork, but I haven't been given any official confirmation of what exactly will be checked.

So can any one clarify what the inspection involves? I don't want any more hold ups at this late stage.

Also, I'm not sure I can legally drive it there, in the same way you can drive to a pre-booked SVA or MOT. Even if I can, I don't really want to be driving it into the centre of Birmingham for 8:30 in the morning. :(

So does anyone have any experience of hiring car trailers? Is there a national hire chain that does them, how much? etc?

Cheers.

I don't know about driving it there, but look in yellow pages for car trailers, then see if they will hire you one for half a day. If you lived up here in the cold North, it wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck & let us know how you go on.

:) :)

Hi Joel

Try contacting Richard Grove he lives not far from you in Broadway and I remember when talking to him he used the Birmingham route he may be able to give you a few pointers.

Cheers

Dave B :D

I was told I couldn't drive my 2B there which I could well beleive as it hasn't had an MOT or SVA. When I got there the guy had a cursory look under the back "yep that's a Ford axle". He then checked the engine number and asked a couple of questions about the front suspension. He disappeared back inside and then re-appeared to ask where the chassis number was. I told him that I was here to get one issued (they had told me not to make one up) and he said "Oh you should just have made one up". So I didn't tell him he had left his Maglite under the bonnet - one good turn deserves another.

All in about 30 minutes waiting and about 5 minutes with a guy looking at the car. He didn't even take all the covers off - never mind get it off the trailer (yes it was persisting down).

A couple of days later a letter arrived with my chassis number and registration number.

As for the torch - well it works just fine and has come in quite useful thankyou very much.

Last trailer I hired (to recover the S7 from Oxford a couple of months ago) cost £30 for 24 hours (lunchtime to lunchtime) but again that was oop ere in't north. Look for Indespension or Ifor Williams dealers as they often do hire as well as sales, they may not be the cheapest but the trailer will always be A1 (we once hired one from somewhere else which turned out to have a knackered winch - not fun when the car being moved isn't running).

Iain

Hi Joel

The only thing they check is engine number and chassis number (if you have got one) my process was same as Iain's (both Preston) i spent more time reversing car and trailer out of peoples way (nice new shiney office block with no parking anywhere nearby, See they can't even put the office's in suitable place's)

They filled out the same form i filled out when i applied for the inspection :( !!!

took all of five minutes

It is the most frustrating bit as most reg offices have one person who deals with it and is usually busy when you call.

When i returned after SVA to finish the reg process and tax it, i was told the lady that deals with it was working on the desks and wouldnt be able to see me as my turn couldn't be timed when she was free (i could have let somebody else go before me and waited until she was available but they wouldnt let me :angry: )

so i gave all my paper and cheque for tax to the girl on the door and told her to give it her when available. My tax arrived 3 days later and i promise i didnt drive it before then :ph34r:

Good luck and i hope you're on the road soon

Mitch

Thanks guys.

I found a local trailer hire company in the yellow pages, who do a 24hour hire for £35 - seems quite reasonable to me.

I wouldn't wish Birmingham on anyone at the best of times, let alone during the morning rush hour in a kit car with a habit of overheating, so it looks like the trailer is the most sensible option.

Unfortunately the inspection isn't until thursday, which only gives them a day or two to sort out the paperwork, so it looks unlikely I'll make Donnington this year. :(

Guest mickmellors

Steady on there Joel - its not a condition of entry to come to Donington in your Robin Hood - come in or on anything that will carry you, a tent, beer and a sleeping bag - JUST COME !

Its the last big show of the year and your last chance to put faces to names.

If you dont come we will all spend the whole weekend talking about YOU ! ! !

Be there or be square ! ! ! !

Cheers

Mick M

I can't even begin to see the point of that. :angry:

All the hassle of hiring trailers and driving to Birmingham in the rain, just for a 5 minute inspection. The DVLA woman filled in the exact same Built up Vehicle report that I had already completed, and the only 'inspecting' that was actually done was to check the VIN number and mileage, which was already done at SVA.

It's bureaucracy gone mad.

we will all spend the whole weekend talking about YOU ! ! !

It's all lies I tell you, lies. ;) :p

I'll see what I can do.

Hi Joel

Yes i agree, as i said it's the excact same form (three lines, engine, chassi, and where the parts came from)

It's all a load of *bleep*s, this part could be easily sorted at the SVA so all you have to do is tax it.

Seems Birmingham and Preston come under the same training centres.

In future i think all Hoods should be regestered at Notttingham, at least they are clued up on the process, or at least have it down to a fine art.

Does this mean we will see the finshed article this weekend?

Mitch

You're quite right Mitch, it is a load of *bleep*s - I can't believe it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I passed SVA and I'm still not on the road! :angry:

I'd recommend anyone to use Birmingham SVA, but don't even think about Birmingham DVLA if you can avoid it.

If the paperwork comes through tomorrow or saturday, and the weather's good (no roof yet), then you may well see me on the Sunday, but to be honest I'd be amazed if it does.