Fuel Guage

Snapperpaul

It's time to bite the bullet and spend on some guages, the robin hood ones that came with the series 3 just won't go with the Telemetrics speedo and tacho and they are all mechanical, i don't want hot oil in the cockpit or 60amps behind the dash. Now the question is.... what do i need to get to make the sierra fuel level work with an aftermarket guage? I don't really want to replace it, as the other senders are 5 hole with no fuel pick up.

Guest salty_monk

I think the VDO gauges are programmable... i.e. you can tell the gauge when the tank is full & empty, (it logs the resistance at each extreme) I may be wrong though....

The VDO fuel level sensor fits perfectly in a Series 3 tank without any mods to the tank. The sensor does not come with a pickup pipe so I used a length of metal brake pipe, drilled a hole so that the pipe was a tight fit and sealed with some fuel resistent putty stuff.

I use a VDO Vision fuel gauge wich is NOT programmable.

Guest salty_monk

I thought the VDO sender was the straight up & down (a tube) one with no arm type... perhaps I'm thinking of something else.

I'm sure I've seen one that's programmable.....

Saw a program here the other day on "Rat Rods". one of them had an inverted beer bottle sticking out of the dash as a fuel gauge :D That would be cool :D

VDO do both a float arm and a tube type sender (for foam filled tanks). Maybe their posh gauge is programable to match it to any sender. Nice idea for the builder but no real benefit to the gauge maker. They will sell fewer senders but maybe more gauges. No clear profit in it.

Nigel