Question About Personalised Registration Marks

Guest paulh

Just a quick qeustion, if i have an older vehicle, (for example, my VW is 7 years old), can i purchase a newer registration mark ie HO55 ACK (spells my surname), and put it on my car, or would i have to have a newer car to buy the registration (55 plate or older). Also, what are the rules for spacing between the '55' and the 'ACK'.

Maybe one for you enforcer?? :D

Guest rhetorical-oracle

You'd need a car registered after September 2005 to put a 55 plate on. You can't use a number plate which misrepresents the age of the vehicle making it seem younger than it actually is.

You can't use a number plate which misrepresents the age of the vehicle making it seem younger than it actually is.

But you can put a '69 plate on a new car to make it an old one :D

Barry

Guest chris brown
what are the rules for spacing between the '55' and the 'ACK'.
The first part of the registration weather it be LNNN (Letter Number Number Number) or NNLL must be equally spaced then there must then be a space of at least twice the spacing of previous letters and or numbers before the second group of letters or numbers.

If not then Enforcer is likely to feel your collar

BTW personalised plates that are altered to say something (i.e. a name or like a local one to me “MI OH MY”) can be withdrawn from persistent offenders.

Also, what are the rules for spacing between the '55' and the 'ACK'.

Number Plates fitted after 01 Sept 2001, must display characters that meet dimensions shown below:

• Height ............................................................... 79mm
  • Width (except letter I or Figure 1) .................... 50mm
  • Stroke ............................................................... 14mm
  • Space betwwen characters ............................... 11mm
  • Space between groups ..................................... 33mm
  • Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) ......... 11mm
    Space between vertical lines ............................ 19mm

Character width has been slightly reduced to allow for thew Euro style number plates.

Number plates fitted before 01 Sept 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown in one of the two groups below:

• ________________________________________Group 1______Group 2
  • Height ..................................................................... 89mm ............. 79mm
  • Width (except letter I or Figure 1) .......................... 64mm ............. 57mm
  • Stroke .................................................................... 16mm ............. 14mm
  • Space betwwen characters .................................... 13mm ............. 11mm
  • Space between groups .......................................... 38mm ............. 33mm
  • Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) .............. 13mm ............. 11mm
    Space between vertical lines ................................. 19mm .............. 19mm

Traditional number plates (ie black and silver), motorcycle and imported vehicle number plate sizes can be found here: Number Plate Link

HTH

Just as a matter of interest what size would your number plates have to be if your vehicle was registrered ON 01 Sept 2001??

I'll get me coat! :p

Nishka :ph34r:

Thans for all you help! I thought as much regarding age of car. (I'm actually trying to sell the VW at the moment to finance the hood). But don't have a 55 plate second car for it to go on. Just reading up on how i can get the hood registered as new instead of an age-related plate, then in theory i should be able to buy the plate and keep it until hood is on the road? Or could i have the plate applied to the hood from first registration?

Les, i noticed you mentioned that it was in auction already, have you got a link to the site? Does it tell me when & where i can bid on it?

Paul