How Much Does The Chassis Weight?

Guest racer x

Guest racer x

Hello from the States. I am looking into buying a lightweight but have little information on it beyond of the RH website. How much does the chassis weight? How much lighter is it than a conventional square tube chassis build? Is it really strong enough to withstand club racing? I am looking for any information on how well it holds up to hard driving. Does anyone know of someone racing their lightweight?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Guest ScotMac
Hello from the States. I am looking into buying a lightweight but have little information on it beyond of the RH website. How much does the chassis weight? How much lighter is it than a conventional square tube chassis build? Is it really strong enough to withstand club racing? I am looking for any information on how well it holds up to hard driving. Does anyone know of someone racing their lightweight?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi John, glad to see some more interest in the L/W from us in the states. Welcome to RHOCAR.

Answers in order of questions:

1 and 2. No idea the weight of mine. It is difficult to measure, since the chassis is built w/ the diff in it, and many people of started on the front bones by the time they finish the chassis (i know i did). Anyway, i have seen quotes of around 50kgs for l/w vs. around 80-100kgs for a more traditional 7/locost. So, around a 60-100lb savings. Not bad.

3. No, not as RH designed it. However, i do believe it is race strong enough w/ the strengthening that i have done. But that strengthening has obviously come w/ a cost. I believe i have added about 20-30lbs. So, that takes us down to about 30-70lbs lighter than a conventional build.

4. I only know of about 3 finished L/W's, and none of them are being raced. However, i do believe that RHSC/GBS had one that they were racing. Richard from RH had a post about it a while ago. I'll see if i can find the thread.

I do plan to use my l/w on the track, and will race it if i can figure out how to add an SCCA compliant full roll cage to it.

-Scot :)

the artical in the Mag did say it was a lightwieght, but Richard later admitted at a show that they had it wrong, and it was infact his own racing locost.

but i could be wrong, i dont think they ever built a MS LW car, but they did have a couple of prototypes chassis for sale when they had there clearout.

Mitch

ps i think the LW chassi is about 55kgs,

hi

re the weight you might want to talk to coveland in the states.

i can only give you finnished weights

310kg front

300kg rear

inc 3 imp gall fuel

no spare wheel

regards graham

Guest racer x

thanks for all of the answers. I actually have been in contact with Cloveland here in the states (they are only about a 2 hour ride from my house in NY) I am waiting for them to finish their car.

Guest ScotMac

Covelands LightWeight...how's that MG running gear rework going??? :D

John, i shipped my LightWeight to *California* for ~$800. RH said something about not selling the l/w anymore, but being that you are in the US, they might reconsider. If not, l/w's seem to be appearing on the UK EBay somewhat regularly these days.

• 4 weeks later...

hi scott

gbs have 1 lightweight kit left at mansfield woodhouse and are reluctantant to advertise it for fear of slagging on rhocar.

if any one wants it its there on a stillage waiting for a buyer???????????

with the problem behind us should be a good buy .

regards graham

Guest ScotMac
hi scott

gbs have 1 lightweight kit left at mansfield woodhouse and are reluctantant to advertise it for fear of slagging on rhocar.

if any one wants it its there on a stillage waiting for a buyer???????????

with the problem behind us should be a good buy .

regards graham

Right, but probably RHD, right? Not great for us in the states. Is that the ONLY one they have left? If so, then it may actually be true that Coveland is the only remaining supply of LHD l/w's...hmmmm. Too bad, considering their prices.

Graham, congrats on the purchase (or son-in-law's purchase). More fun for you! ;) Yes, definitely do injection, w/ custom ECU and ITB's...no better way to get max power out an engine. :)

So, wild styling you say???? Hmmm, hope you are gonna fully paint it....i would love to see a l/w w/ a custom paint job. I am planing black or midnight blue for mine, w/ as much chrome as possible. Have fun w/ the new build.

Guest salty_monk

Can't be that much work to convert RHD to LHD surely??

If they will shop him a box of bits & all the donor parts (they have them in stock) that would take all the hassle out....

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Ya, thought about the conversion...could be done...the main problems would be the pre-bent footwell and side of tunnel panels, the pre-punched rivet holes for same in the chassis side panels, and the steering rack mounting...latter would have to be completely custom...but since mine was ~70% custom, that isn't too big of a deal. Yes, could be done.

-Scot B)

Guest ScotMac

Interesting...these US based guys see the ebay ads by Coveland and think the monocoque idea is a good one (easy build and no welding required). They entertain the idea for about a week or two, and then (if they do their research) they figure out it isn't as easy as they thought, especially w/ all the strengthening....and they quietly go away...never to be heard of again!!! ;) :D :D