Pinto Starter & Ignition Circuit

itllbedonesoon

Hello,

I have a 2.0ltr pinto (carb) onto an MT75 gearbox but no starter motor & no ignition circuit. I have a DOHC starter but i think it is too short to engage the flywheel and I have been looking in the 4 local breakers for pinto's for months and have not found a thing.

(i have found the 'motocraft amplifier' but without the connection plug or the rest of the ignition wiring, so it is kind of useless)

Are there any alternatives i can use, can i take any of the ignition circuit off a CVH or a starter of a ZETEC or anything? (wishful thinking)

I have tried posting a 'wanted' request to ask for these items but it says 'i do not have permission'???

any ideas??

Guest billgwen
Hello,

I have a 2.0ltr pinto (carb) onto an MT75 gearbox but no starter motor & no ignition circuit. I have a DOHC starter but i think it is too short to engage the flywheel and I have been looking in the 4 local breakers for pinto's for months and have not found a thing.

(i have found the 'motocraft amplifier' but without the connection plug or the rest of the ignition wiring, so it is kind of useless)

Are there any alternatives i can use, can i take any of the ignition circuit off a CVH or a starter of a ZETEC or anything? (wishful thinking)

I have tried posting a 'wanted' request to ask for these items but it says 'i do not have permission'???

any ideas??

Hi,

You could try this crowd I used, www.vehicle-electrics-online.com I seem to remember they they had starter motors for most of the older Ford engines, plus they do a nice line in amplifiers which I needed for around £20 plus p&p.

Cheers

Bill

cheers Bill,

That place is about 30mins drive from me so i will head over there on Friday for a starter motor and to see what they say about the amplifier.

On their web site it shows only the amplifier but no connectors, and i already have an amplifier but it is the connertor i require. When you got an amplifier from them did it come with the connection plug and any of the wiring or was it just the ignition amplifier?

thanks Bill, one step closer to starting the engine :)

You don't have to have a connector. The terminals are just flat blade, 2mm or 3mm in width. Crimp/solder the correct size female terminal on six wires and stick them on. Then for a pro finish, brush the socket with vaseline, fill the space with Sikaflex and leave for 24 hours to set. You have just made your own plug.

Nigel

Guest Daren.F

You know that squeaking noise when Nigel walks?

Its not his leather trousers :D

I would like to apologise for:

Spamming, Insulting a senior citizen, and any inferred connection with the Blue Parrot Club

Daren

Guest VEO Marketing

Hi All

May we open by stating that we are not technical. We have been appointed by www.vehicle-electrics-online.com to assist in their marketing. We picked up this posting through our marketing monitoring services. I hope the following information proves useful to the 2ltr Pinto owner.

Firstly, VEO are 100% online and do not have technical staff or parts at their registered office. A trip there on Friday would be a wasted journey.

Secondly, in order to get an answer to your question you will need to complete their online contact form.

In order that technical can assist you will need to supply the following information:

1. The diameter of the bell housing hole

2. The positioning of the bracket holes (with the solinoid at 12o/c move clockwise) eg 2/5/11 or 2/7/11

with the opening between 2/7 or 11/5

3. Distance between the flywheel and the outside edge of the housing in mm.

The problem you speak of was common with the Sierra where Ford changed the distance between the flange and the front teeth

For example check out starter models RS481 and RS482 on the above website.

Please direct any questions regarding the ignition module ("amplifier") to VEO on their contact form

We hope this helps and saves you a wasted journey.

PS Thanks to Bill for recommending our clients

Edited by VEO Marketing

Wow Longboader, you should have your 'tricks of the trade' show on TV!!! :)

I think i will have a go at that connector fabrication, i have the amplifier off my DOHC sierra to practise on and then i will have a go on the one i need.

I did send an e-mail to VEO on wednesday with an enquirey, but i will send another e-mail inc the information listed points 1,2 & 3 for the starter motor.

cheers all!! i'll let you know how the plug thing goes.

avo,

I bought a starter in the end, part ex for £50 inc so saved a tenner or so, (i squeak when i walk too).

Did the plug fabrication thing with some valve lube from work. Total disaster! :o i left it for a little over 48 hrs and when i whipped it out the end fell off! it had not set propperly. I guess inside the mould the air couldn't get to it and it took longer to go off????

So i am onto the mark 2, it has been in there for 4 days now and tonight i am going to whip the end out and see if i get lucky. fingers crossed.