2b Chassis........water Trap

Guest john

Hi All.

My 2b has been on the road for nearly 4 years now, and recently went to GBS for suspension upgrade to wishbones.

When they cut off the old fake bones, the lower tubes were full of water, loads of it. And very smelly too.

Now I was aware this happens on these chasses, but just 'never got round' to doing anything about it.

I'm going to drill a small drain hole at the lowest point to stop it occurring again.

Anyone else experiencd this / done anything about it ???

I've drilled a couple of small drain holes, as I don't know whether Carl did any when he built it. It never went out in the rain under his ownership so there wasn't any water in there!

I've also covered the open ends of the chassis at the rear as I figured that's where any water would get in when driving in the wet. Left a small hole as a breather and sprayed a fair bit of waxoyl in before doing this just as a second precaution.

Water in the chassis is a known issue on 2B's. Someone once posted on here that they could hear water splashing sround when driving and once they drilled a couple of holes, loads of the stuff came out!

Andy

I once got a letter from RHE when the bottom ball joint issue first arose, included in the letter was tips on how to prevent the water build up in the chassi,

basicaly has you have done, drill small holes (2mm) in th bottom of the two long rails which end on top of the front cross member, dont think any others are closed in.

mine was dry when drilled, (wishbone model)so maybe a iger problem in the sliding pillar???

HTH

Mitch

Guest peter2b2002

i think some were on the vidio's richard said to drill holes in the bottom of the tubes cos that is what i did, as well as using waxol in every hole drilled and blanking off the rear of the tubes

pete2b

Guest tom2b

I closed the open ended tubes at the back of the chassis, never thought about drain holes in the chassis. I was considering drilling and tapping the chassis in a couple places and spraying waxoyl in with a paraffin gun then closing the hole with a bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starnie67

i used camerra film tubs to bung up the open ends of the chassis. fit well when applied with the favourite temporary solution of silicon sealent. robinhoods answer to everything.