Megajolt To Com Port 1

Snapperpaul

Getting close to firing up the engine after solving my oil problems and wanted to save the MegaJolt ignition map before going any further. Have downloaded MegaJolt tune on to 2 laptops but niether have a com port ( 9 pins in 2 rows) so how do i connect up the MegaJolt?

I understand that there are USB to Com Port adaptors but have heard that configuring it to be Com Port 1 is difficult.

On the Emerald software it allows you the option when you connect to the ECU to select a port. If you have no com port then your only option would be to get a USB-com adapter (can't imagine they are expensive) and try and connect.

If you have Windows XP you may be lucky and it detect it when plugged in if the ECU is on. Mine did.

Good luck

Andy

Have tried usb/serial adaptors in work with differing results. They seem to work fine with some software/ equipment but not others. Configuring can involve a bit of trial and error. An old laptop with com port would be simple answer as long as it will run the software, or do you have a docking station? They commonly have com ports built in even though pc doesn't.

Brian

Software will run on Win 98 so old laptop is an option as is dragging the PC outside or even un bolting the MegaJolt from the car and using a 9 volt battery.

I will try the USB to RS 232 first and see what happens.

I use a USB to serial adapter a lot for work - tends to set itself up as com9 - OK as long as the software can go up to com9 as some older programs only allow options of com1 - com4