Chassis Strenthening

Guest daywalker

Guest daywalker

Hello gents. i live in the states and i was ready to buy a l/w kit from coveland until i stumbled across this forum. does anyone know if the kits coveland is selling is of the "subpar" variety? if i used a lighter powertrain, motorcycle engine/trans combo, would the strenght issues be as much of an issue? i dont intend on doing any serious racing maybe local autocross events. is all the strengthening nessesary? here in the states i dont think the process of registering a "kitcar" is as stringent. is it that much of a saftey issue? i have a motor from my cb100of sitting on ice looking for a home.

Guest salty_monk

It would be perfect for a bike engine setup. Buying it from Coveland would be the expensive way. Yes you need to build some extra strength into areas of the chassis as you build it.

There is a lightweight builder in San Fransisco, I'm in Redondo Beach, LA & have a 2b back in England.

Dan :)

Guest daywalker

ive never imported anything form abroad. what is the average cost of importing the kit directly from england. is it considered a "car" or is it considered "freight". who would i get into contact with to find out what procedures i need to follow. initially i was just interested in the kit because of the price. believe it or not that is pretty inexpensive compared to most locust based kits for sale here in the states. what is the going exchange rate for. last i heard it was 1.9 for every american dollar. i live in new jersey on the east coast, do you know roughly how much the whole process will cost? thank you in advance.

Guest salty_monk

Scotmac came over to the UK & picked it up, took it to the port & shipped it as it was difficult to get RH to ship it direct. There are companies that can do that for you.

It shouldn't be imported as a car, at that stage it's a box of car parts I would think. There will be some duty to pay on it though on arrival. A good freight forwarder could help you out with the import. I have one & can give you details if you need it.

I have a friend with a courier company who would probably quote you for collecting it from Nottingham & transfering it to the port for you along with all the donor parts (Robin Hood can supply those too). I'm not sure the lightweight is being made any more though.

Exchange rate's about 1.95 : 1 at the moment, if Bush would stop printing money to fun his middle eastern firework show we might get a better rate!! :lol:

Coveland weren't in on the action when Scotmac bought his car but even with the bad exchange rate there are substantial savings to be made.....

Dan :)

Guest RJHALL

GBS can supply kits to ship world wide, there has been a number of kits sent to the USA, we built a large wooden packing case that holds all the bit plus the donor parts or completed or part built car. The lightweight is no longer being produced but its replacement will be unveiled in the next few weeks ready for the first show.

Lightweight Mark 2?

Now i am interested.

thats mine?????????????

i think you will find that the new car refered to is the hood ,

tublar chassis and alloy panals .

Exchange rate's about 1.95 : 1 at the moment, if Bush would stop printing money to fun his middle eastern firework show we might get a better rate!!

1.95 IS a really good rate.....for Ray..hes importing Chevy bits at a fair rate! :D

As a bonus it keeps all those b****y Yankee tourists at home :D

Bob